Thread: Pro Press gas lines

Post Likes

Pro Press gas lines

Was on a roof today, small stripmall 8 stores all gas lines were copper pro press I didn't even think it was approved.

Hope copper theives don't find out about this.

Post Likes
    What do you have against propress for gas? I wouldn't trust it for potable water lines due to chemical attack and cavitation, but gas? Sure.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by protechplumbing View Post
    What do you have against propress for gas? I wouldn't trust it for potable water lines due to chemical attack and cavitation, but gas? Sure.
    I have seen what cavitation does to a pump impeller, but I have never heard of it happening in a fitting in potable water lines.

Under what conditions does this happen?

Post Likes
    At high water velocities if there are any imperfections in the pipe wall cavitation will occur just behind the obstruction.

Post Likes
    I think it would be a great time saver as opposed to BI, although I think I'd still prefer the strength of BI on a roof. Have you seen any cavitation problems first hand?

Post Likes
    To be clear, you won't see cavitation in gas lines, only water lines.

I have seen cavitation in copper pipes due to not reaming cuts made by copper cutters. That will happen no matter what kind of fittings are used if the cuts aren't reamed. I have heard thru the grape vine of problems with propress cavitation but it could be BS as it was union plumbers with an agenda saying it.

Post Likes
    To be clear, you won't see cavitation in gas lines, only water lines.

I have seen cavitation in copper pipes due to not reaming cuts made by copper cutters. That will happen no matter what kind of fittings are used if the cuts aren't reamed. I have heard thru the grape vine of problems with propress cavitation but it could be BS as it was union plumbers with an agenda saying it.
    Oh of course, although unreamed ends on gas lines of course aid in restriction which in extreme cases can lead to pressure problems. You would hope the pro press system would be engineered to prevent cavitation in water applications.

Post Likes
    I have seen have used it condensate drains put don't have a warm fuzzy with iut in potable water. Would never ever think of it on gas lines. Nithing better then threaded pipe.

Post Likes
    It would be faster but the material would be more than threading BI.

Post Likes
    Pro press is a great product but so is soldering....Both are great and will last a lifetime IF IT IS DONE PROPERLY. I have seen sooooooo many copper joints that should have leaked but the idiot who soldered it got lucky. Lucky enough it lasted a year before it blew apart. See it all the time. So pro press takes a bit less skill to use unlike soldering. The pipe fitting on the other hand actually requires some math skills to make it look pretty and fit properly. But it is amazing how many companies don't give a damn about the looks. Just get it done and get it done fast. Trades are taking a dump real quick.

Post Likes
    Talked with my boss, he said they are starting to use it in refrigeration in Europe, when hits here their will be even more hacks in the business.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't think it could handle the pressures and temps in a 410A system.

Post Likes
    I also here that propress isn't good for application that are subject to constant vibrations. A voper compression system seems like the worst place to try to use propress.

Post Likes
    I also here that propress isn't good for application that are subject to constant vibrations. A voper compression system seems like the worst place to try to use propress.
    I don't think pressures would be a problem,but I strongly agree vibration over time will create more work!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in