temp sensor in steam condensate line/trap

I have heard that a temperature sensor wired to & properly programmed in a BAS can function in lieu of a freezestat on a steam coil in an AHU.

I cannot find any calculations or data to support that theory. I guess that knowing steam pressure in the coil and knowing the condensate line temperature might be an indication of whether the steam system is actually condensing or not, but whether it's due to a frozen coil or lack of proper pitch or some other factor seems hard to determine. Any thoughts?

I have entertained trying this but have not gotten around to it.
    If the condensate trap drops below a setpoint to be determined, let say with 25lb steam 180deg for a starting point this could possibly prove the lack of condensate flow. This would be based on the steam valve or valves being at 100% output.
    Beware of the prophet trying to make a profit.

There is less oxygen from knee level to the floor! Check it out next time you tie your boots.

If you want to know about the trap, with a steam table you could figure out if there is condensate on the steam side backing up, or steam blowing through the trap.

With a 15psig steam supplied to the heating coil, above 250F you have steam, below is condensate. Check you saturated steam tables. If you read 245F before the trap, the condensate is backed up or the valve is closed, 255F after the trap would mean the trap is stuck open.

I don't know if it really works, and you shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel. Somebody here knows the easy way.

Quote Originally Posted by drafty888 View Post
    I have heard that a temperature sensor wired to & properly programmed in a BAS can function in lieu of a freezestat on a steam coil in an AHU.

I cannot find any calculations or data to support that theory. I guess that knowing steam pressure in the coil and knowing the condensate line temperature might be an indication of whether the steam system is actually condensing or not, but whether it's due to a frozen coil or lack of proper pitch or some other factor seems hard to determine. Any thoughts?
    We have installed Steam Trap temperature sensors and simply alarmed them when the coil was called open but temoerature was low.
    This was for a pharm company who had loads of excess steam so used it for most of their heating.

It was pretty crude BUT did indicate the steam trap being blocked (as more often than not this was the case - not an actuator failure!)

The whole steam thang is not really my bag though - I was a lot more green then!.
    gnomethang