Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gas leak detector?

Need a good one. Any suggestions?

What kind of gas? Combustible gas? If so, the TIF 8800A has served me well.
    Hvac Maniac

"A negative attitude cancels out positive skills."

Quote Originally Posted by hvac maniac View Post
    What kind of gas? Combustible gas? If so, the TIF 8800A has served me well.
    Yes, combustible. Was looking at the 8900 model TIF today. Not sure of the differences between the 2 or which is newer but the 8900 is the one the supply house has.

Thanks.

i've used the inficon gas-mate for a couple years now and love the thing. no complaints! and i don't even like the d-tek select!!!!!
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

We have used the Bacharach's Leakator10 for years now with no problems what so ever, you also have to realize we use these gas leak detectors 8 hours a day for 5 days a week and we replace the sensors maybe ever 2-3 years and it is easy to replace the sensor. We have 5 Leakator10s in our burner room.

Cool sniffer shopping

You need to consider the calibration span of the meter you are looking at. The TIF 8800a is calibrated to sniff 50 ppm of methane. The TIF 8850 sniffs 500ppm methane and the 8900 sniffs only 500 ppm methane. Compare that to the 20 ppm methane for the Bacharach Leakator 10. Since many homeowners can sense 1-2 ppm esp. in these tight houses, 500ppm ain't much. You can miss a low level leak that will trigger a callback. Also, most of these sniffers respond to dozens of various hydrocarbons including pipe dope and leak detection fluids so you can get false positives.

See this thread : http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=130555

HTH,
    Hearthman

I've got a leakarator Jr. that I've been using for about 3 years and I'm very happy with it. Only gets used a couple of times a month but it's found the source of any leak every time.

I don't know how sensitive it is but I had a methane leak in my truck after lunch one day and set it off. No kidding.
    Ryan
    Maintenance Guy
    -----------------
    naysayer, skeptic, conspiracy theorist

Thanks everyone. I bought a Leakator 10. I hope you all gave good advice because I used your opinions as well as some internet searches to make my decision.

Thanks again.

re:Gas leak detector?

Gas Suppression System Design, Inert and chemical gas system installations. We are not tied to any one of the proprietary suppression or detection products options, but can supply and have an in-depth knowledge of all of the leading systems.

Gas Suppression Systems

http://www.trutechtools.com/SensitTKX Very well built detector and made in the USA

Bacharach Leakator 10 is the best I have ever seen. It is the only one I know that the sensor is calibrated to each unit and is the most accurate and stable. Least amount of false readings.
    captain CO

I had the Bacharach Leakator 10 for many years and it served me well with no complaints. This past winter it started acting weird, and potentially would cost me 2/3rd's the price of a new one.

So I did some homework, and purchased the eL-320 from Accutools (same company that, makes the Blu Vac Micron gauges). It is very compact and light, and has worked great on the several occasions I have used it so far.
    Hi, my name is Glenn, and I'm a Toolaholic!

Let us know how you like the EL-320. I bought the UEI DM200 (yellow bluvac LTE) and am considering the scale and charging unit from them. Hard to find many reviews on their stuff other than the bluvac.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast