Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just finished this attic installation today. I know, the flex duct sucks, but what are you going to do? It's R-8, which is code here. The line set and drains are on the back side because they go out the eaves of the house down the outside wall to the condensing unit, which was also replaced.

Critiques welcome.
    With your chrome heart shining in the sun, long may you run.

Nice

Whats holding the dang thing up? can't tell from pic.

drain pan?

Izzat a permanent electric splice w/ red wirenuts?
    5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions

Question, Why did you not go straight up with the Flue and offset to the back of the house, Instead of adding the 6 foot lateral? Also what kind of supports are you using to hold that bad boy up?

Originally posted by mcfly007
    Question, Why did you not go straight up with the Flue and offset to the back of the house, Instead of adding the 6 foot lateral? Also what kind of supports are you using to hold that bad boy up?
    Looks to be held up by heater feet (metal adjustable support legs). It is a popular way to support the equipment here in texas being a lot of work is in the attic. The hacks around here just use some old bricks or 2x4's and let the sucker vibrate like hell.

nice looking work!!

Quality is never an accident; It is always the result of
    high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and
    skillful execution; It represents the wise choice of many
    alternatives."

Under the furnace I believe there are to horse type supports. One on the left and one on the right. Kinda hard to tell but thats what it looks like. I hate it though when there is no decking. It is so bad here that I have finally convinced our company to mandate that all attics must be decked before we perform our install. We will even do it for the home owner if they would like. I would rather do a little wood work than sheet rock work any day.

Originally posted by JasonHoustonTX
    Looks to be held up by heater feet (metal adjustable support legs). It is a popular way to support the equipment here in texas being a lot of work is in the attic. The hacks around here just use some old bricks or 2x4's and let the sucker vibrate like hell.

nice looking work!!
    I noticed it quite a bit when I did some work in Houston and could not understand why. Most of the stuff up here in Dallas gets hung with 1 and 1/2" strap with armaflex covering the straps. Some times they like to do the trapieze thing with black pipe. Not a big fan of letting it rest on any thing that comes incontact with the floor of the attic. Preference of mine is to hang it all.

Looks great

Better than most anything I have ever seen around here.

Just wondering, does your code not require decking 30" x 30" in front of service areas and a 24" path to access drain on other side?

Re: Nice

Thanks for the compliments! We try really hard. After doing these things for twenty years, I hope we've gotten better over the years, but these almost 50 year old knees aren't getting any younger. ;-)

Originally posted by glennwith2ns
    Whats holding the dang thing up? can't tell from pic.

drain pan?

Izzat a permanent electric splice w/ red wirenuts?
    The furnace is set on heavy-duty sheetmetal furnace stands with three 3/4" rubber vibration pads secured across each stand.

The emergency drain pan is strapped up hanging under the evaporator coil (hidden by duct) and piped to the left to the eave. There's also an emergency float switch installed.

I take no credit for the wiring in the attic. That stuff was there when we got there. We had an electrician come in and homerun a circuit to the furnace from the breaker panel. He's supposed to come back and take care of the splices. There are more that can't be seen.

Originally posted by Bredain
    I hate it though when there is no decking.
    Well, that was a sticking point with me, also. My boss, who helped with the install, didn't opt to do that. Code here also requires a 30" X 30" deck and 24" path to the drain. To get to the back side of the system there is a path around the return air plenum (not pictured). How he's going to handle that with inspector is another story.

Question, Why did you not go straight up with the Flue and offset to the back of the house, Instead of adding the 6 foot lateral?
    We vented back to the original roof jack where the old system vented to prevent having to cut another hole in the roof. The lateral run is four feet.

Thumbs up Another Fine American Standard Install

Nice job> but where is the walkway to the unit for future access...Looks like a pull-down in front but still need 24x24" platform to unit required by code.

Very clean install,support of flue would be an idea and is there a secondary drain pan with safety switch on the coil.????
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

As I stated above, if it would have been up to me, the area around the equipment would have been decked. But, I'm just a peon service tech/installer. I'll try to get the boss to read this thread.

You can't see it very well in the photograph, but the vent is strapped to the roof rafter right before it penetrates the roof. It's not going anywhere.

Yes, there's an emergency float switch installed in the coil drain pan.

Looks good shark boy keep the pics coming>.

Good looking job with a lot of extras. If you don't mind me asking how did you get your plenums R-value up to a R-8 without externally wrapping?
    "And remember my sentimental friend......that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others" - Wizard of Oz.

Nice looking work. I like when the attic is big enought to work in and you have access to all of the equipment.
    Read, read, read!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast