Thread: ERV effectiveness at ambient temperatures

Post Likes

ERV effectiveness at ambient temperatures

Hi,

The data on hvi.org lists efficiencies of ERVs at cooling and heating loads. What I'd like to know is how efficient i can expect them to be at transfering moisture when the interior and exterior temperatures are close (i.e no heat exchange being done).

Post Likes
    on the renewaire type probably 20 to 25%

on the ones with the wheels probably twice that
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    on the renewaire type probably 20 to 25%
    Hmmm. I callled vanEE yesterday for information on their Gold ERV and they could not provide an answer. I suspect it might be in the same range, depending on the humidity differential.

As I mentionned in other posts, my main issue is with high humidity in spring/summer/fall. I know that I need a dehumidifer but was wondering if an ERV would help as well.

The temperature differential between inside and outside for most of those three seasons would be a maximum of 10C on the hotest summer days. I probably would not benefit too much from the heat exchange of an ERV and if the humidity exchange is only 25%, I think I might be better off with a ventilating dehumidifer only.

Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sancyk View Post
    Hmmm. I callled vanEE yesterday for information on their Gold ERV and they could not provide an answer. I suspect it might be in the same range, depending on the humidity differential.

As I mentionned in other posts, my main issue is with high humidity in spring/summer/fall. I know that I need a dehumidifer but was wondering if an ERV would help as well.

The temperature differential between inside and outside for most of those three seasons would be a maximum of 10C on the hotest summer days. I probably would not benefit too much from the heat exchange of an ERV and if the humidity exchange is only 25%, I think I might be better off with a ventilating dehumidifer only.

Thanks
    vanEE uses a wheel
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnak View Post
    vanEE uses a wheel
    I'm fairly certain that the vanEE Gold 1001 ERV uses a paper core (interchangeable with the HRV core if required).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in