Hvac instruction

So I am deciding if I should attend a vocational school in Florida that instructs in Air Conditioning,Refrigeration and Heating Technology. I have always loved working with my hands and troubleshooting problems is something I enjoy.

Is there anything I should look for in this school? Any questions I should ask? What is with the E.P.A. certification? Should the course be able to prepare you for the test? I am led to believe that this is a fairly competent school and is affordable.

What I have concluded so far is to finish the course and get a universal EPA certification.

I do see that there are jobs all over the country and I am willing to relocate but the South definetely seems to have the most employers. What would a rookie expect to see when applying for a job in South Florida? Any input is appreciated and thanks again in advance.

You will need the ABC's of HVAC/R. Make the refrigeration cycle your friend.

Air movement, superheat and subcooling charging and proper piping

practices are very important. Understanding electricial system operation is

very important. I'm very biased Ferris State is me school. I'm sure there are

great school down south near you. Good luck HVAC/R is not just a job it's an

adveture.
    Waddya mean don't thaw out the frig with a knive?

The UA Local in Miami is by far the best in the state of Florida. I would recommend talking to them before making a decission. I'm in Orlando and went to tech school, then the Union. They find you a job and train you. Ferris State has an agreement with the UA and you can use your apprenticeship time towards getting in. You have to take other courses, but its a way in if your want a BS in HVAC Engineering.

Google the UA in Miami and get some information.
    Anyone who says this trade is easy, aint doing it right!

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

Proud member of the United Association.

Union

Thanks guys! I did have an interest in the union but is the rumor true that sometimes there isn't any work or you have to wait your turn to work? Ant clarifications?

I worked non-union for a short period while before I got a union job. I heard alot of rumors. Its like any other trade. I have worked where I am for 15yrs. Yeah you pay your dues, but you also get good healthcare for you and your family and retirement. I'm salary in the office now and I wish I had the benefits I had when I was in the field. Many people don't like the union, but I have no regrets. If you apply yourself, stay humble, listen and respect the old timers, and never stop learning you'll have a great career.

Most rumors are just that. I would recommend that you find out for yourself. It maybe helpful to attend tech school for a little while then try to get into the Union.

Good Luck.
    Anyone who says this trade is easy, aint doing it right!

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

Proud member of the United Association.