Swing at strikes, the plate don't move...

After watching my SoCal teams get beat, I was struck by the inconsistencies of the umpire calls for balls and strikes.

If we have the technology to track pitches, shouldn't we let umpires simply call em out or safe?

Here's an abstact from freepatentsonline.com

The self-contained ball-strike detector uses two transducers to detect the presence of an incoming pitch, and a series of transducers located on the upper surface of a home plate-shaped housing to determine whether the pitched ball is within the strike zone. Ultrasonic transducers are located near both the right and left boundaries of the strike zone. These transducers and a centrally-located transducer emit high frequency signals in the direction of the pitched ball. A reflected signal is used to determine whether the pitched ball is within the strike zone. The size of the strike zone may be changed to accommodate batters of different heights. The apparatus includes audio and visual indicators of whether the pitch is a "ball" or a "strike" as well as indicators if the batter is "out" or is entitled to a "walk". The apparatus maintains the ball/strike count for each batter, and has light emitting diodes to visually indicate the current count for the batter.

What say the brethren?
    Cheers,
    lb
    A hundred million nodes - it's a LON story.

Umpires calling balls and strikes are part of the game. The technology you speak of doesn't account for the fact that the plate is not a square and it's not 2 dimensional. It's if the ball crosses the plate - anywhere. It also doesn't account for the fact that with each batter the strike zone moves - from the knees to the letters. I agree with you that umpires need to be more consistent - the same pitch twice - one is a ball, the other is a strike - can be maddening, but I just don't see the technology there to be able to track balls and strikes - besides if you take all of the human work out of the game will it still be fun to watch? BTW as a Red Sox fan I was a little disappointed in the Angels showing against the Yankees - I figured since they manhandled the Sox they would at least put up a fight against the hated Yankees...

When a team has over a 100 million dollar payroll advantage, what is the point? Baseball is stupid right now. When I see the Yankees I turn on something else.

Anyway, seems like the invention is a 3 axis device so it would work if it samples over Y.

Yeah, computers can fix it, just ask college football fans.

Quote Originally Posted by lonboy View Post
    After watching my SoCal teams get beat, I was struck by the inconsistencies of the umpire calls for balls and strikes.

If we have the technology to track pitches, shouldn't we let umpires simply call em out or safe?

Here's an abstact from freepatentsonline.com

The self-contained ball-strike detector uses two transducers to detect the presence of an incoming pitch, and a series of transducers located on the upper surface of a home plate-shaped housing to determine whether the pitched ball is within the strike zone. Ultrasonic transducers are located near both the right and left boundaries of the strike zone. These transducers and a centrally-located transducer emit high frequency signals in the direction of the pitched ball. A reflected signal is used to determine whether the pitched ball is within the strike zone. The size of the strike zone may be changed to accommodate batters of different heights. The apparatus includes audio and visual indicators of whether the pitch is a "ball" or a "strike" as well as indicators if the batter is "out" or is entitled to a "walk". The apparatus maintains the ball/strike count for each batter, and has light emitting diodes to visually indicate the current count for the batter.

What say the brethren?
    Cheers,
    lb

Lonboy, I know what you're saying. The inconsistency of the calls during the AL and NL series' were staggering. Not only at home plate, but at every other base. I mean, Johhny Damon was clearly safe at first while the other two boneheads were clearly out at third in game five of the ALCS. However, if we take away the human element and leave this kind of thing to computers, we might just be trading one set of problems for another. Just ask college football fans what they think about the BCS rankings system.
    Btw, I am also against expanding 'instant replay' in MLB.
    That's my .02c
    Go Dodgers! (next year)

Die Hard Cubs Fan !

Baseball is, along with soccer, the last 2 "Sports" where the Field Officals still have authhority that has not been stripped by Instant replay.

The TV commentators rail endlessly, while viewing slo-mo replays about how bad the officiating is/was but the Umpires still call the game, Period !

If they allow Instant Replay Officiating in MLB I think I will start watching the Food Channel or 'Dancing with the Stars'...............NOT ! At that point it's no longer Baseball ! I will go find a Little League game and forget about Pro sports all together, they are all over paid anyway.

Yes, we have the Technology and probably more than they could stand but come on ! It's Baseball........

I mean Crap.........IT'S BASEBALL for goodness sake !

What more can I say besides "Maybe Next Year", Go Cubs !
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

I want to like what you say about the human effort for going to an umpire over a machine. Maybe I'd be more willing to accept those solutions if teams like the Yankees weren't able to run a payroll 100 million dollars higher than most everyone else. So you need every opportunity against them defined as accurately as possible because they can grossly overpay and sequester major amounts of talent so you need to take notice of everything.

Otherwise, might as well go WWE.

Football is already on its way to full WWE status so maybe baseball isn't much farther behind.

Unhappy It's not really a sport anymore !

If we get right down to it they arn't really sports anymore.........

..... Simply a Business that allows those that have it make even more of it.

I'm done, I can't stand the reality of this thread anymore. All my illusions have now been destroyed

Go Cubs, maybe next year ?
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    (Amended)

If they allow Instant Replay Officiating in MLB I think I will start watching the Food Channel or 'Dancing with the Stars'...............NOT !
    I mean Crap.........IT'S BASEBALL for goodness sake ! (Amended)
    Watching 'Dancing with the Stars' is infinitely more interesting than watching Baseball!

Like CCI Kelly sez "Crap.....It's BASEBALL"
    It's like this; ->->->->
    RealEyes
    Realize
    RealLies!

This is an interesting discussion. It's not controls but....
    As far as the Yankees and their payroll. I kind of like watching baseball this time of year because it's the best of the best. It's the cream of the crop. Is it 'stacking the deck'? Maybe. But it's still excellence. Is it unfair? Maybe.

But we can probably apply that same argument to 'dancing with the stars'. I mean, Donny Osmond competing against Michael Irvin?

:)

Ya' Buddy! Donny's throwing that Samba down!!
    RealEyes
    Realize
    RealLies!

View from the Brit

Quote Originally Posted by CCIKelly View Post
    Baseball is, along with soccer, the last 2 "Sports" where the Field Officals still have authhority that has not been stripped by Instant replay.
    Yes, but speaking as someone "over the pond" from you chaps can you see what a parlous state of affairs this is?.

The problem with Association football (soccer), as has been pointed out, is that it is a business.

The referrees and assistant referees (they used to be called Linesmen) have no authority in the game and are royally abused by ALL players EVERY match - with the notable exception of Pierre-Luigi Collinia (You know - the ref in the world cup that looked liked the alien in 'Mars Attacks!'). He would never take any crap.

I would urge you to watch a game of Rugby Union - ANY game - to see how a ref commands respect. The guys will stand in front of a bloke 9 inches taller than them and TELL them what is going to happen. The offender (or more usually the Captain of the offender) will say 'Yes Sir' and go and make sure that the miscreant is dealt with.

Happy Days! and great to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S7Uv60s2WQ
    Last edited by gnomethang; 10-28-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added Link
    gnomethang