Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    I am still a newbie, and have not yet found employment in this field. Well not at a shop, but as a helper for a 1 man show part-time. So I was wondering do service technician have helpers? what is in house training like? This question is pretty much for all the shop owners, if I were hired in right out of trade school, what type of process will it take for someone to become a service technician?

Long hours, hard hot work, 5 years of carrying a journeymans tools for him, 24/7/52 on call. These are the good things. Wanna hear the down side??

Only time I ever get help is on system changeouts.
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

as a technition, i prefer not to have help.
    99% of all service calls are a one man job anyway. i don't want to have to deal with someone else in the truck with me. i want to go to lunch when i want to, and if i want to, if i'm busy, i will usually grab a snack and drink between calls for lunch. not everybody does that, or likes to do that. if it's a slow day i may take an extended lunch or run a few errands.
    i wanted to put a picture here

What's with all this lunch? What is LUNCH? I don't recall my company giving such a thing. What do you do on this Lunch? Is it fun? Relaxing? Rewarding? Restful?

Lunch. What a novel concept.

lunch is where you can take a customer and be reimbursed by the company. (who says there is no such thing as a free lunch)
    oh yeh, you're the one living in snow zone, temps here have been in the 70's until the last few days here, so we have time for lunch.
    do you yankees even call it lunch ?
    i wanted to put a picture here

I have a cousin who is an experienced plumber. He's 55 years old and nearly died of a heart problem a year or so ago. He'll have a helper when he returns to work to assist him in getting work done.

I'd consider doing the same thing when I am even more broken down than I am now.

Having a chance to work one on one with an experienced tradesman sounds like extremely valuable experience if you have someone who treats you decently and wants to help you learn.

Seattle Pioneer

Originally posted by MikeJ
    What's with all this lunch? What is LUNCH? I don't recall my company giving such a thing. What do you do on this Lunch? Is it fun? Relaxing? Rewarding?

Lunch is one hand on the steering wheel, taco bell, a straw and a bottle of mylanta.....onto the next call

LOVE THIS FORUM

after 31 years its the only way I can eat. I asked the wife to get me a recliner with a steering wheel so I could feel at home while I ate.

Speaking of eating lunch and being in a different location everyday, you get to try some great spots and you get a list together of your favorites when your in a certain area.

I have been on a health trend and I bet I could tell you where atleast 20 different subway locations are.

Unhappy Today's helper's

I use helper's if I need to change a compressor on a Trane or rooftop.I had one riding with me this summer training to learn HVAC,but he took off for everything from flat tire to his girlfriend was sick. He don't work for me anymore,and I was looking forward to having a new technician to lighten the load sometimes.

He's Dad was trained by me 1984 and is now a commerical tech. He wasn't to happy with his son after 3-4 warnings either.Now he has been looking for over a month for a job.

You just can't rely on some young guy's today,they want high hourly rate but don't want to do a day's work.....
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Air cooled, That is bull, saying you cant rely on young guys. We put in long hours just like you guys do. We dont make fun of you when you screw sh*t up, We will put in 80 hour weeks and not complain. For all the guys on this thread that don't want to take some new guy around to show them the ropes, just think back when you started out, They just gave you a van and a set of tools and said fix this? This is the point where you need to show us young fellows how to deal with customers, parts warehouses, right way to troubleshoot equipment instead of being parts changers. They don't teach that stuff in school. Instead of looking at us like we are some pain in the side, look at us as if we are there to take a load off your shoulders and that we are there to learn the right way to work of equipment. I am sure that there are young people that just are there for the ride and the paychecks. Don't let those bad apples spoil the bunch.

As a supervisor the company expects me to put in so many hours a week training newbies. In fact, the supervisors have a meeting twice a month with the vice-prez about our progress.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast