Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Trane Summit BCU to internet

Hi
    I have two summit systems I want to access remotely. I could use the WEBops device Trane sells. But I have not used it before. Reading the data sheet says I need the PC software station to set it up. I have Rover that I used to set up the BCU's but there is no pc station. What is my best route to get access via ethernet?
    I have several other buildings I want to net enable. But they have an assortment of equipment. I would love a common solution but understand that may be difficult. So I started with the Summit's. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Tony

Yes you need the summit workstation to configure the IP in the bcu.
    UA Local 141

1. The Internet
    2. A Router
    3. LogMeIn

This is your least expensive option.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    1. The Internet
    2. A Router
    3. LogMeIn

This is your least expensive option.
    First Trane does not make the WebOps anymore because it was a real piece of crap. The only option now is Tracer ES which will set you back big bucks and does not give you all the benefits of a Tracer Summit workstation. The best route is like Sysint says set up one of the workstations to allow remote access. The least expensive route is just use Windows XP remote desktop it is part of Windows XP so not cost at all. The Tracer ES would allow you to integrate multiple vendor front ends however into one web page. For the most part anything that can broadcast in Bacnet IP will tie into the Tracer ES. But in reality you can pull most all Bacnet IP devices into Tracer Summit as a non trane bacnet device so the remote desktop would also work in that situation.

Trane is working hard to forget the WebOps..and they should. Junk.

We usually use Logmein for remote access. It's free. Simple workstation with an Internet connection, router, and its done. Works well. Customer's love it.
    Remote workstation works also - your choice.
    Anyone who says this trade is easy, aint doing it right!

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

Proud member of the United Association.

Hello again
    I was waiting for concensus. Looks like the last post was it.
    Can I ask for experience or opinions on using cellular modems for the access to the PC station? It at first glance seems to simplify things. Just wondering if anyone has any cautionary tales.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by dave2142 View Post
    First Trane does not make the WebOps anymore because it was a real piece of crap. The only option now is Tracer ES which will set you back big bucks...
    Good point, however the primary factor driving the "big bucks" was the cost of the Microsoft SQL software. In lieu of continuing with the WebOps product, Trane released Tracer ES v2 (Enterprise Server version 2) a few months ago, which now supports SQL express which is the free version of MS SQL. So based upon this info (2 BCU's, own hardware, free SQL Express) you should be able to procure the ES software for under 2k, which would grant you access to that system from any internet connection (no specific laptop, database, or remote access software).

WHY Trane???

Lets face it Trane is usually 2 or 3 generations behind the big boys and they always release product that i would call still under development. I have a webops that I put in because of time constrainst and to get the money spent but really wanted to go the NAE route or another vendor product. We are stuck untill good budget times return.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverat View Post
    Good point, however the primary factor driving the "big bucks" was the cost of the Microsoft SQL software. In lieu of continuing with the WebOps product, Trane released Tracer ES v2 (Enterprise Server version 2) a few months ago, which now supports SQL express which is the free version of MS SQL. So based upon this info (2 BCU's, own hardware, free SQL Express) you should be able to procure the ES software for under 2k, which would grant you access to that system from any internet connection (no specific laptop, database, or remote access software).
    Your right with the new SQL express it is cheaper but even this would not do what it seems he wants to do. ES does not allow for Rover passthrough, device configure, cpl editing, point editing or many mor of the nice Summit features. Kind of an more dependable and robust Webops really with some additional features. I still recommend keeping a working Summit workstation for some of the features it gives over the ES. I do think the 2k sounds quite cheap from the prices I see coming out of our office. Think you would be more around 3-4k. That also depends on what version of Summit you have since ES only works with 17 you may need a Summit upgrade also. Sadly the last poster is correct Trane tends to be in general behind in controls and I cannot seem to figure out why but it is the fact.

I think that those are all wonderful Ideas. Just wanted to say a few things. Trane does not support LogMeIn, RemoteDesktop, or third party accessing. So if a problem arises they will not help.

Trane techs use a program call BCU IP Config to change the IP of the BCU it is not apart of Tracer Summit. If you get them to come out they will set it up to work on your network. (Static IP and all that, might have to get with your IT department.) You will also need a copy of Tracer Summit, I would really really suggest you put it on a laptop and not a Desktop, that way it is portable, and then you could access it from anywhere with the proper VPN. I am assuming these BCU's are BMTX, BMTS, or BMTW, all of which have ehternet capabilities or can be upgraded to.

The only way to use Rover Remotely is Through Tracer Summit "Passthrough" (Or remote desktop, logmeIn, etc.)

Get a Laptop,
    Get Tracer Summit,

If you do not have Tracer Summit you are really missing out on a lot of great features.

Sounds Liek to me that you only have Rover service tool, is this correct, or do you have a copy of Tracer Summit?
    Last edited by ControlsGremlin; 10-25-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Second Thoughts

The IP config tool is part of Tracer Summit. It would not be in Trane best interest to support logmein but what is there to support. It has nothing to do with the summit software. You also would necessarily need to put an IP address in the BCU to access the computer via Logmein.

We access systems with VNC, similar thing to Logmein.
    Last edited by willf650; 10-25-2009 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by willf650 View Post
    The IP config tool is part of Tracer Summit. It would not be in Trane best interest to support logmein but what is there to support. It has nothing to do with the summit software. You also would necessarily need to put an IP address in the BCU to access the computer via Logmein.

We access systems with VNC, similar thing to Logmein.
    Well I have a customer that I did this for, with remote Desktop, there IT department made changes to thier network and now it doesn't work. they call Us and say we do not have access to Tracer Summit, and we have to tell them we can't come work on it. So the good intentions you had made us Shine for a bit, but then just caused problems later. And you know Techs are only as good as thier last mistake, so that is what they will remember.

I have the Rover service tool. I do not have the tracer summit software. But I can get it I suppose. Is it restricted to one site? Or is it a service tool I can install on my laptop and use on many systems? Since I apparently must have a pc onsite to LogMeIn to. I need software on the pc to talk to the summit box on the wall. This is two different things?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast