Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trane Summit BCU to internet

Hi
    I have two summit systems I want to access remotely. I could use the WEBops device Trane sells. But I have not used it before. Reading the data sheet says I need the PC software station to set it up. I have Rover that I used to set up the BCU's but there is no pc station. What is my best route to get access via ethernet?
    I have several other buildings I want to net enable. But they have an assortment of equipment. I would love a common solution but understand that may be difficult. So I started with the Summit's. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Tony

Yes you need the summit workstation to configure the IP in the bcu.
    UA Local 141

1. The Internet
    2. A Router
    3. LogMeIn

This is your least expensive option.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    1. The Internet
    2. A Router
    3. LogMeIn

This is your least expensive option.
    First Trane does not make the WebOps anymore because it was a real piece of crap. The only option now is Tracer ES which will set you back big bucks and does not give you all the benefits of a Tracer Summit workstation. The best route is like Sysint says set up one of the workstations to allow remote access. The least expensive route is just use Windows XP remote desktop it is part of Windows XP so not cost at all. The Tracer ES would allow you to integrate multiple vendor front ends however into one web page. For the most part anything that can broadcast in Bacnet IP will tie into the Tracer ES. But in reality you can pull most all Bacnet IP devices into Tracer Summit as a non trane bacnet device so the remote desktop would also work in that situation.

Trane is working hard to forget the WebOps..and they should. Junk.

We usually use Logmein for remote access. It's free. Simple workstation with an Internet connection, router, and its done. Works well. Customer's love it.
    Remote workstation works also - your choice.
    Anyone who says this trade is easy, aint doing it right!

If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.

Proud member of the United Association.

Hello again
    I was waiting for concensus. Looks like the last post was it.
    Can I ask for experience or opinions on using cellular modems for the access to the PC station? It at first glance seems to simplify things. Just wondering if anyone has any cautionary tales.
    Tony

I have used celluar modem routers in the past to remote into workstations. Getting them set up can be a little tricky but they work fairly well. Saves a lot of time on jobs that are not finished yet but that you may need remote access into while under construction.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post
    Hello again
    I was waiting for concensus. Looks like the last post was it.
    Can I ask for experience or opinions on using cellular modems for the access to the PC station? It at first glance seems to simplify things. Just wondering if anyone has any cautionary tales.
    Tony
    Just be mindful of data plan you sign up for, and don't expect lighting speed operation.

I think that those are all wonderful Ideas. Just wanted to say a few things. Trane does not support LogMeIn, RemoteDesktop, or third party accessing. So if a problem arises they will not help.

Trane techs use a program call BCU IP Config to change the IP of the BCU it is not apart of Tracer Summit. If you get them to come out they will set it up to work on your network. (Static IP and all that, might have to get with your IT department.) You will also need a copy of Tracer Summit, I would really really suggest you put it on a laptop and not a Desktop, that way it is portable, and then you could access it from anywhere with the proper VPN. I am assuming these BCU's are BMTX, BMTS, or BMTW, all of which have ehternet capabilities or can be upgraded to.

The only way to use Rover Remotely is Through Tracer Summit "Passthrough" (Or remote desktop, logmeIn, etc.)

Get a Laptop,
    Get Tracer Summit,

If you do not have Tracer Summit you are really missing out on a lot of great features.

Sounds Liek to me that you only have Rover service tool, is this correct, or do you have a copy of Tracer Summit?
    Last edited by ControlsGremlin; 10-25-2009 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Second Thoughts

The IP config tool is part of Tracer Summit. It would not be in Trane best interest to support logmein but what is there to support. It has nothing to do with the summit software. You also would necessarily need to put an IP address in the BCU to access the computer via Logmein.

We access systems with VNC, similar thing to Logmein.
    Last edited by willf650; 10-25-2009 at 08:02 AM.

I have the Rover service tool. I do not have the tracer summit software. But I can get it I suppose. Is it restricted to one site? Or is it a service tool I can install on my laptop and use on many systems? Since I apparently must have a pc onsite to LogMeIn to. I need software on the pc to talk to the summit box on the wall. This is two different things?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOldGuy View Post
    I have the Rover service tool. I do not have the tracer summit software. But I can get it I suppose. Is it restricted to one site? Or is it a service tool I can install on my laptop and use on many systems? Since I apparently must have a pc onsite to LogMeIn to. I need software on the pc to talk to the summit box on the wall. This is two different things?
    You are correct "I need software on the pc to talk to the summit box on the wall"

You should not have to buy a permanet Workstation,

No it is not restricted to one site. Tracer SUmmit can do multiple sites.
    (as Long as they are up and communicating on the Network and are compatible)

Rover will only allow you to access the BCU and whatever is on that particular BCU's Link so you would still have to go to each BCU that does not have a permanant workstation tied to it with Rover Software. If you get Tracer Summit, you will be able to see all your buildings BCU (After IP address have been added and network is up and running) and if you have Rover and Tracer Summit on the same workstation then you can use Tracer Summit to access Rover through the "Passthrough". There are certain features in Rover that at times you will want to access and not use Summit.

So all you would need is One Copy of Tracer Summit ( use the Tracer Summit Software on your current comp that has Rover), and all your buildings tied into the network. Then you get a VPN (Virtual Private Network) to your Companies Network and your set man. . Use your laptop as the workstation and connect remotely (VPN to thier networks) and you can use Tracer or Rover on all the sites that are communicating

This will get you to the point I believe you would like.

Tracer Summit has a lot of features like Time of Day scheduling, Chiller Plant Control, etc., that can save your company money (If it is not already set up) Being able to edit the Building Schedule could be an argument, because if you can edit that stuff, you can save money on the energy and such. (Unoccupy for holidays. thus saving energy)

http://www.trane.com/Commercial/Uplo...CEN_061406.pdf

http://www.wmitechnologies.com/pdfs/...20Overview.pdf

Above is the Hardware and program guide, that may prove useful.
    Last edited by ControlsGremlin; 10-25-2009 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Edit info

Quote Originally Posted by willf650 View Post
    The IP config tool is part of Tracer Summit. It would not be in Trane best interest to support logmein but what is there to support. It has nothing to do with the summit software. You also would necessarily need to put an IP address in the BCU to access the computer via Logmein.

We access systems with VNC, similar thing to Logmein.
    Well I have a customer that I did this for, with remote Desktop, there IT department made changes to thier network and now it doesn't work. they call Us and say we do not have access to Tracer Summit, and we have to tell them we can't come work on it. So the good intentions you had made us Shine for a bit, but then just caused problems later. And you know Techs are only as good as thier last mistake, so that is what they will remember.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast