Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Cast Iron cookware.

Having a good set of cast iron cookware is essential for the type of stuff I like to cook. The standing joke around my house is that I cut up an onion and throw it in the frying pan and THEN decide what I'm going to cook for supper.

Anyway I have every size fry pan (skillet) up to 14". They are all broken in really well. Except for the 9" pan. I had it long time. I think my mother left it to me. I can not season this pan. I have tried all the "Tricks" to get this pan from sticking. Sanding it down with salt. Baking it with oil in it. Oiling it after washing. I just can't get the patienna(sp) on it like the other cast iron pans.

Is there such a thing as a cast iron pan the CAN NOT be seasoned? Or does someone have a sure fired way of seasoning a pan.?

i use LARD. Every new years day i cover them in lard and put them in the oven upside down so the fats don't pool in the bottom. Ive never had one not season...u sure its cast iron and not some bi-metal of some kind?

Quote Originally Posted by yellowirenut View Post
    i use LARD. Every new years day i cover them in lard and put them in the oven upside down so the fats don't pool in the bottom. Ive never had one not season...u sure its cast iron and not some bi-metal of some kind?

That's a good question. It sure looks like cast iron. Its old. How does a young fella, like myself, determine if this pan is genuine cast Iron?

(other than hitting it was a sledge hammer like an old boiler.)

PS. I'll try that lard trick. How long and at what temp. do you put them in the oven??

oh damn....i cant remember....i am thinking 275 for 2 hours....maybe

All of mine except maybe the really old ones that don't have the name on it are Wagner. They are all great with the exception of the Wagner chicken frying pan. I have the same issue you do. My mom bought it for me new back in the mid 80's and that thing just wont season up properly. The bottoms not too bad but the sides still have patches that look new.

You don't wash them with soap and water do you ??

Quote Originally Posted by mattm View Post
    All of mine except maybe the really old ones that don't have the name on it are Wagner. They are all great with the exception of the Wagner chicken frying pan. I have the same issue you do. My mom bought it for me new back in the mid 80's and that thing just wont season up properly. The bottoms not too bad but the sides still have patches that look new.

You don't wash them with soap and water do you ??
    No I never use soap!

I was wondering if I had my son hit it with his sand blaster and take it down to bare metal and start all over again??? Ever hear of that?

RE:

All about me, except the very old, not the name of His Wagner. They are all very well except for frying the chicken Wagner. I do the same problem as you. My mother bought me back again in the mid 80s and used it for a good season. The soil is not bad, But That updates the sides are still new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmion View Post
    All about me, except the very old, not the name of His Wagner. They are all very well except for frying the chicken Wagner. I do the same problem as you. My mother bought me back again in the mid 80s and used it for a good season. The soil is not bad, But That updates the sides are still new.

Try to make since of that post and your head will blow up!
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    Try to make since of that post and your head will blow up!
    Glad you posted that Jack !! I thought I was getting senile. He lost me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tolmion View Post

Now we know who Dennis Leary got the frying pan from for the "your brain on drugs" commercial.

Old folks always put their pans in the fire each year when we burned leaves and brush if the pans looked bad. They come out nice and clean then must be re seasoned. If this won't fix it hang it on the wall.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

Some cast irons cookware just cannot be seasoned. This most often happens with the newer ones from Vietnam and China but I have had old heirloom types which were impossible too. Toss the 9" loser and buy a 9" Lodge pan to replace it.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

You're way too young for that....
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast