+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: learning geo thermal

Post Likes

learning geo thermal

Alright guys I have not visited in awhile. am still going to school and trying to break into the field. there is a new company in town that is selling strictly geo thermal but they are as green as I am My school barely touches on geo thermal.

So where do you learn about geo thermal? I have always thought I would go into the green part of hvac but how

Post Likes
    Don't know if this is what you are looking for but the best I have come across is Linn State Technical College Linn, MO. The entire campus is geo and the lab has at least 12 geo units.

Post Likes
    I view IGSHPA as an industry leader in education. I suggest checking out their latest design and installation manual. I went through their certified designer program. There are also three day installer certification courses. HeatSpring Learning Institute has created a business just around training installers.

Post Likes

Hi I'm interested in geothermal

can you send me more info?
    Quote Originally Posted by steeveau View Post
    I view IGSHPA as an industry leader in education. I suggest checking out their latest design and installation manual. I went through their certified designer program. There are also three day installer certification courses. HeatSpring Learning Institute has created a business just around training installers.

Post Likes

WaterFurnace Training

WaterFurnace offers a great training program on installation and service. I dont know if you have to be a dealer or not to go through the program, my company sent me to it a year or so ago

Post Likes
    nice information in your posts... you can send me the more info on that....http://www.chasesaunders.co.uk

Post Likes
    Iteach geo at an adult ed program in NY. I have a hands on trainer. I also teach trouble shooting etc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Air Doctor, Inc View Post
    Iteach geo at an adult ed program in NY. I have a hands on trainer. I also teach trouble shooting etc.
    So, it would be so kind of you to share with us your training documents, thanks in advance .

Post Likes
    Best way to learn is on the job training with someone expierenced.

Post Likes

hard knocks

Quote Originally Posted by geostuff View Post
    Best way to learn is on the job training with someone expierenced.
    You stoled my thought. Try learning how to do a horizontal loop from a book. When you get that first wet caving nightmare you'll probably panic and give up. Its hard to make any money in this business if you can't install your own loops. it's not that hard but you have to know that it can be done no matter how hard it seems.

Post Likes

Confused Marine transport refrigeration mechanic

HI, guys, I am thinking going into geo-thermo on my own personnal home. been researching it for some time now. I find the best way to find out what equipment to choose is to ask the people that work on this type of equipment and find out what equipment they have the least amount of problems with. Naturally, I will be bringing in a well driller to sink the wells and do the grouting, price of propane is killing me , so I have to do something.also,maybe it's me ,but, has anyone else ever noticed ,there is no getting ahead of the efficiency curve? the higher the ratings the higher the costs. you quote prices on jobs and the difference is you pay up front for what you will be saving and that turns alot of people off to the work.let's not forget how bad this economy is doing. thanks for your help.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dvschillin View Post
    Alright guys I have not visited in awhile. am still going to school and trying to break into the field. there is a new company in town that is selling strictly geo thermal but they are as green as I am My school barely touches on geo thermal.

So where do you learn about geo thermal? I have always thought I would go into the green part of hvac but how
    The first thing to understand about "green" hvac is that regardless of the technology you employ- what I think of as the "power plant" you need very strong fundamentals to build a good system with low energy costs.

Green HVAC is about efficient energy generation and collection to be sure- but is is equally important that we distribute the energy in an efficient manner.
    These things depend on strong fundamentals-electrical, refrigeration cycle, air and water distribution, combustion... you get the idea.

Most guys in the trade don't ever really master these fundamentals, so they can't ever really get the most out of a system, conventional or "green" regardless of weather they went to a trade school or not.

I can "green" a furnace, or I can install geothermal, Solar-thermal or solar-PV- it all comes down to fundamentals.

If Geothermal gets you all jonesed, work on conventional heat pumps, because that all geothermal is- a conventional HP redone to use the ground as a heat sink instead of the outside air, just that simple.

By the way, the units these guys are talking about aren't the only game in town.

http://www.earthlinked.com/
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    There is only one difference in an air to air HP and a geothermal HP and that is the medium used to reject heat, which is water. Other than that, they are the same puppy.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    There is only one difference in an air to air HP and a geothermal HP and that is the medium used to reject heat, which is water. Other than that, they are the same puppy.
    not always.

You water source guys really do have a one track mind.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by darctangent View Post
    not always.

You water source guys really do have a one track mind.
    Of course they are. For geothermal, you need to know pumps, water temp in and water temp out. The refrigerant changes state depending on temperature. it could care less if the temps are from water or air.

Post Likes
    Of course they are. For geothermal, you need to know pumps, water temp in and water temp out. The refrigerant changes state depending on temperature. it could care less if the temps are from water or air.
    I do geo, I use no water (unless I'm heating domestic or hydronic water)

Like I said, one track mind.

Those other manufacturers like to deny the existence of any technology outside of their own.

there are pros and cons to using water. I do without just fine. IGSHPA and friends have got you guys brainwashed.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    I do geo, I use no water (unless I'm heating domestic or hydronic water)

Like I said, one track mind.

Those other manufacturers like to deny the existence of any technology outside of their own.

there are pros and cons to using water. I do without just fine. IGSHPA and friends have got you guys brainwashed.
    So what fluid do you use for the loop?

Post Likes
    So what fluid do you use for the loop?

fluid? not exactly.

R-22

r-407c

r-410a

it's called "DX" or "direct exchange"

Horizontal loop fields, vertical and diagonal bore holes.

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Post Likes
    fluid? not exactly.

R-22

r-407c

r-410a

it's called "DX" or "direct exchange"

Horizontal loop fields, vertical and diagonal bore holes.
    so what's the majic fluid that goes into the Horizontal loop fields, vertical and diagonal bore holes.

its called DX or Direct expansion.

Post Likes
    so what's the majic fluid that goes into the Horizontal loop fields, vertical and diagonal bore holes.

its called DX or Direct expansion.
    same answer.

sorry, but you aren't listening.

r-22

r-407c

r-410a

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in