Thread: Quotes for Trane Amana Ruud & Carrier

Post Likes

Question Quotes for Trane Amana Ruud & Carrier

Without putting prices - The Ruud and Amana were the same. Trane $ more and Carrier $ more. I understand installer competence is important. Everything being equal, except the prices, any thoughts/suggestions?

Ruud UGRM 95% 105K BTU 2 stage, variable fan
    Ruud 14 SEER R410A 4 ton AC Ultra UAPL-JEZ
    Honeywell VisionPro 8000
    5” media filter
    New line set for AC
    10 yr warranty on equip, 2 yr on labor

Amana AMV91155DXB 96% 115K BTU, 2 stage, variable fan
    Amana ASX160481A 16 SEER 4 ton AC, 2 stage Copeland compressor
    White Rogers 1F78151 Control (not sure about this one)
    New line set for AC
    Vacuum ductwork
    10 yr. parts and labor warranty, lifetime compressor and heat exchanger
    5” media filter

Carrier 58MVC100-1-20 95% 100K BTU, 2 stage, variable fan
    Carrier 24ANA748, 17 SEER, 4 ton AC
    Use old line set for AC
    Infinity Control
    10 year parts, 1 yr labor

Trane XV95 TUH2B100-R9V 100K BTU, 2 stage, variable fan
    Trane XR13 4TTR-3048-A 4 ton, 13 SEER AC
    Trane 5” media filter
    Old line set for AC
    Touch screen thermostat (I think Honeywell 8000)
    15 years parts and labor on furnace
    10 years parts and labor on AC
    Lifetime on heat exchanger
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-22-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Removed price increases

Post Likes
    IMPP, I'd go with the Amana except I'd see about getting a VisionPRO IAQ for that system. The 5" filter is a must regardless of what system you go with.

Post Likes

Cool

If at all possible use new lineset. Very easy to change if they can get at it. Both Amana/Goodman and Rheem/Ruud are good systems. These installers seem to be better to me just because they want to change the lineset and do it right. Not that the other guys are bad I just think it is cutting a corner.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    A few thoughts from my viewpoint (biased because I have in the past been a Trane dealer, and now am a RUUD dealer).

Trane has always seemed to be high $$$ IMO, I am not convinced the value is there... others would disagree.

Carrier estimate includes the Infinity system, something vaguely similar to a climate control in an upscale vehicle. Nice if subtle details of comfort are important, but has to be serviced by a carrier guy that is approved for infinity (not all Carrier guys are). Service could be pricey.

Both Trane and Carrier have lots of proprietary parts, prices are high for these parts, and they are hard for anyone other than Trane/Carrier dealers to get.

Goodman/Amana have a lousy record of reliability... I am basing this on two factors:
    1) I service more Goodman/Amana than any other one brand, and
    2) Ratings like Consumer reports always have them WAAAAY down the list.

Rheem/Ruud are the same company, different model # and lables (Rheem model #'s starts with R, Ruud starts with U; EX: RGRM or UGRM). Rheem/Ruud were rated best in reliability by Consumer reports last summer (July issue if I remember).

The Ruud system mentioned above will fully qualify for the tax credit.

My experience with Ruud equipment is that it is kinda like the BudWeiser Clydesdale horses; strong and they just keep going.

Now that I have offered a biased opinion about equipment... let me address what is important: INSTALLATION!

There are lots of subtle details necessary to do a quality installation. The more of them that are carefully addressed, the better the energy efficiency as well as the longer the life of the equipment.

I note that all 4 quotes have a VS (variable speed furnace), this is a good feature!

I would use the Honeywell IAQ (#YTH 9421) also. Lots of features that are nice, and it does not require a new wire (more conductors) from the wall mount to the furnace).

DEFINITELY do the lineset if it is practicle (accessable). If not, be sure it is flushed with an approved flush.

Most houses I look at need some ductwork modification to free up the airflow. Do not be surprised if the contractor suggests more return or adding a vent here or there.

And I agree that a Media filter is a MUST!

Do the Spring/Fall maintenance agreement. It is more about keeping the unit clean and tweaked than anything else, it is worth it!

Best to you, let us know how it works out.

(Editing was to add a few more thoughts.)
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    What's the diff between the 9421 and 8421?

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ds276967 View Post
    What's the diff between the 9421 and 8421?
    See http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum...AQ/Default.htm for 9421. I would look at the YTH9421C1002 with the remote EIM (equipment interface module) at the furnace that allows the reuse of current tstat wiring (3?) for only a few $$ more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jerryd_2008 View Post
    See http://yourhome.honeywell.com/Consum...AQ/Default.htm for 9421. I would look at the YTH9421C1002 with the remote EIM (equipment interface module) at the furnace that allows the reuse of current tstat wiring (3?) for only a few $$ more.
    I agree here.

The YTH 94212 is a well capable T-stat which can take full advantage of the equipment noted above.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

*The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)

Post Likes
    I can easily run new wires in the basement up to our Tstat. I wanted to have it powered anyway. The Ruud contractor said something about running it off the 24V of the circuit board (or something like that). Would that make a difference in the model?

Post Likes
    I can easily run new wires in the basement up to our Tstat. I wanted to have it powered anyway. The Ruud contractor said something about running it off the 24V of the circuit board (or something like that). Would that make a difference in the model?
    The IAQ (a nickname for the YTH 9421) runs off 24V from the furnace.

The only problem I have had with the IAQ is one customer (one time) pulled it off the wall to paint behind it... he did not turn off the power. It damaged the module, we got a new one under warranty.

I think the IAQ is a great T-stat if one needs the features.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Post Likes
    How about a comparable Lennox unit?

Post Likes
    Like the Dave Lennox Signature G71MPP-60C-110? It looks like it would do the same as the others. They also have AC and Heat Pumps that seem to qualify for the tax credit in 4 ton models.

Post Likes
    very helpful

Post Likes
    Beauble-
    I'm just like you, a consumer not a pro. I was offering what I thought might be comparable to the other quotes I received.

Besides the G71MPP furnace I am interested in either a AC or Heat Pump that qualifies for the tax credit. According to what I've found on the AHRI website, the only 4 ton AC is the XC21 and Heat Pump options would be either the 14HPX, XP14, XP15, XPG15, or XP19.

HVAC Pros - I don't know if those options would be in the same price range as 3 of the four quotes I've received. (Carrier was considerably more and the dealer said he didn't have the Infinity 96, only the 3 stage model.) Any thoughts? Lennox currently has 1000 off or 12 months same as cash which is a big plus for me right now.

Post Likes
    A local dealer is a Trane and Lennox rep. they say they have many more Lennox units "on the board" for repairs than Trane. Food for thought.

Post Likes
    I understand installer competence is important. Everything being equal, except the prices, any thoughts/suggestions?
    Installer competence trumps everything else and there are no "equals". One of the installers will likely be better and you have to pick him out.

The contractors that want to put in a new line set show attention to details. The other two that want to re-use the old lineset are taking shortcuts and could be "hacks".

Did any of them do a full load calc. If so, that shows attention to detail and that they're looking out for your best interests.

You might want to look at upgrading to the Honeywell Prestige thermostat.

P.S. Some of the pros on this forum were bashing Lennox recently. However I think it had more to do with their business practices then reliability.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in