Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 18
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    132

    working with a subcontractor helps...Texas

    i worked with a subcontractor for some time and i was wonder if that time helps to get those 36 months experience in the field to get the contractor license.

    thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,874

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post

    i read all that information and trying to figure out but i cant find something where it says that the person verifying needs to have a contractor license

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,874
    Wish I could help you out here.
    If you've got a half a day to kill, you could try calling and talking to a live person. If it's not a big rush, I suppose you could email 'em, and see what they say.


    If I were to guess, I'd guess they have to be licensed. But, that's only a guess on my part.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    132
    i email them already... lets see what they said. i been reading all around the forums but i havent found nothing yet... so far...

    thanks in advance man.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    In the classroom...
    Posts
    677
    Experience must be with "tools of the trade" (whatever that means)...
    ...if working with a building engineer or in building maintenance, doesn't have to be licensed...

    ...the guy you worked under would have to verify your experience...

    ...I really recommend that you take the test prep course through
    North Texas ACCA located on Randol Mill Road in Arlington near the
    ballpark or through Construction Data (do search)...

    ...I'm also in Grand Prairie...contact me (see my profile)
    Prof. Koldenhott
    HVAC Instructor

    "Those that CAN...teach...
    PASSIONATELY!"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    132
    so, if i have worked 5 years in the trade but not all of them with a contractor license, i have the time already to get my license?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    In the classroom...
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by eloko View Post
    so, if i have worked 5 years in the trade but not all of them with a contractor license, i have the time already to get my license?
    If your experience is verifiable, then you should have more than enough.
    Prof. Koldenhott
    HVAC Instructor

    "Those that CAN...teach...
    PASSIONATELY!"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    132
    Quote Originally Posted by koldenhott View Post
    If your experience is verifiable, then you should have more than enough.
    i mean, he works as a subcontractor, it doesnt have license (subcontractor license or EPA license??) and he can verify that i worked in hvac.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    In the classroom...
    Posts
    677
    Quote Originally Posted by eloko View Post
    i mean, he works as a subcontractor, it doesnt have license (subcontractor license or EPA license??) and he can verify that i worked in hvac.
    1. How can he do HVAC subcontract work without state license or EPA certs?

    2. You might be taking your chances under the circumstances...
    ...you could take the course and ask at that time.
    Prof. Koldenhott
    HVAC Instructor

    "Those that CAN...teach...
    PASSIONATELY!"

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,874
    Quote Originally Posted by koldenhott View Post
    1. How can he do HVAC subcontract work without state license or EPA certs?

    2. You might be taking your chances under the circumstances...
    ...you could take the course and ask at that time.


    Yea. This is sounding like a crap shoot.
    Wonder if this sub knows his name is going to be involved with this? I can almost understand no state license but, no EPA? That's hard to believe.
    Have you spoken with him yet eloko?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Posts
    132
    ok...

    He is register with the State of Texas and has EPA Universal.

    i been looking on internet about a license subcontractor and i think North Carolina is the only one who has that.

    does being register and have a EPA works?

    --
    When i said subcontractor its when the hvac contractor gives him the jobs to do them, and he does them while he is there. he is NOT the one doing bidding or selling, just installing all the jobs.
    Last edited by eloko; 10-20-2009 at 06:58 PM. Reason: add information

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    11,874
    Quote Originally Posted by eloko View Post
    ok...

    He is register with the State of Texas and has EPA Universal.

    i been looking on internet about a license subcontractor and i think North Carolina is the only one who has that.

    does being register and have a EPA works?
    My understanding is, he has to have a contractors license,for you to be able to use that time employed by him, as job experience. Not the repair/maintaince license. The EPA, your supposed to have.
    But,I could be mistaken.


    When you guys pull permits, who's name is on that permit? That's the person you need to have sign off for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event