+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 220V or Nat Gas line - what's harder?

Post Likes

220V or Nat Gas line - what's harder?

Trying to decide between airhandler & heat pump VS. gas furnace & a/c condenser, set up.
    Old 1920's home no nat gas lines in attic or 220V. Need heat and A/C in second story of 2 story home. What is harder (more expensive) to set up there, Nat gas line with vent pipe, or 220V electricity line from downstairs?

Post Likes
    Well, not being there to actually see the situation makes it hard to give a educated opinion, but here is my 2 cents. With the gas system you still need electric, while the heat pump dosent need any gas...
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Post Likes
    In LA can you get by with just a heat pump without backup gas or electric heat?

Post Likes
    go with a professionally install on a HP,and the correct charge tight duct work.you'll be OK 40F in LA with rain is considered cold out there
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    Well, not being there to actually see the situation makes it hard to give a educated opinion, but here is my 2 cents. With the gas system you still need electric, while the heat pump dosent need any gas...
    yes this is true, but my understading is that the furnace can run on an existing 110v, while the airhandler is going to need 220v which doesn't exist in the attic right now, which is why i am curious if you guys know what's harder to install the electrical or the gas line to an attic?

Post Likes
    With either gas or heat pump you are going to have more "lines" going up there than a wire or gas line.

You are going to have refrigerant lines and drain lines for the air conditioning and heating coil.

If it were me I would just get a heat pump.

You can run the 220 wire up to the attic with the refrigerant lines and the drain lines. Of course you could do the same with a gas line... but in the end I believe a HP would be cheaper to install.

Plus you dont have a vent thru the roof....or a vent and a combustion air intake.

and of course....not there to see the job..so this is just my opinion based on very general information.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    With either gas or heat pump you are going to have more "lines" going up there than a wire or gas line.

You are going to have refrigerant lines and drain lines for the air conditioning and heating coil.

If it were me I would just get a heat pump.

You can run the 220 wire up to the attic with the refrigerant lines and the drain lines. Of course you could do the same with a gas line... but in the end I believe a HP would be cheaper to install.

Plus you dont have a vent thru the roof....or a vent and a combustion air intake.

and of course....not there to see the job..so this is just my opinion based on very general information.
    This is the way I was leaning. Since the upstairs heat is not really an issue, I care more about A/C on the second floor. Thanks everyone for your responses, super helpful!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in