Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twins

See what you think of how we did this job. Existing setup was 2 furnaces, 1 per floor but they had a common return. Somehow the blowers were rigged to come on together so they didn't pull backwards through the off-furnace.

On the new setup, the customer wanted variable speed furnaces. No twinning capability and wasn't sure about creative wiring so I had them replace the 1 large drop with individual ducts going up 5' to the common return hoping that it will keep return from pulling through the off-furnace. Since they will be running the blowers contantly and these don't shut off with a call for heat, should be OK. Comments?

Job looks real good BL. I'll be wondering about that common return. Like you say, it shouldn't be a problem. Interestin setup with the old humidifier, had to look at it a bit to identify the components.
    R2B4BTU

Looks good.

I had to do the same for the first pix to see the set up for the humid.

No Rheem for this job? :-(

Hope the person is tall enough to reach the EAC? or Meida? to clean/change out the filter.

New A/C as well? Looks like two diffrent coil box.

EAC in there. Not sure what else to do with it!

No Rheem, he did quote Mods but couldn't get the guy to spend the extra. These units are simple design, decent price, especially with a promo on a 10 year P&L warranty. Left unit got a new A/C, right unit had a late model system with A coil in the old coil box with ductboard to the top. Installed that coil in a new box and metal the rest of the way.

Lots easier to work on now. I changed the blower motor on the right one a few years ago. Was thinking how lucky I was that it wasn't the left one with the WH in the way.

Talking

Is that a humidifier in the return, we dont use those here in LA
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Common return OK. For the humid, what zone is the bypass going to.

maybe with back draft dampers, you wouldn't worry about them spinning backwards, just a thought
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Bypass goes to the larger furnace for basement & main floor. We figure it will run much more than upstairs.

The ducts separating the return did the trick. No spinning backwards now.

Nice job, that is a quality installation!!!!

Well someone knows how to roll 45's
    Thats real nice.
    Long radius els to boot.
    Excellent

Looks great Baldloonie ! As for the common return, I did a scientific experiment forcing my Rheem VS blower backwards using another blower then turned it on, it turned around to the correct rotation. As a bonus my power meter went backwards

nice condensate traps on the a/c coil?

loonie,, i ran into this situation once,, actually i was at her house today for annual service,, if you need a common return, then put them up on a common base so the air comes in the bottom of them this will aleviate the backwards blower, we also mounted a temperature sensor on the blower housings just in case,, they have never tripped in 5 years.

kgod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast