Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    That's another thing.

With so many scam artists out there, if I were unlicensed but made a good faith effort, charged a fair price for the work I do, and did competent work, I would be at the bottom of the list of the people they would be after, if I'd be on the list at all.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    That was a funny story. Not much of a fine though.
    they will be watching him & the next time it will be a 1 year sentance

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    they will be watching him & the next time it will be a 1 year sentance
    That's the way it's supposed to work anyway.

I admit I did some work before becoming 'legal'... however:

After I became licensed something changed in my attitude. And that change resulted in the quality of my work going up hundreds of %'s.

I do not think Licensing is a financial question (is it worth the cost), rather it is a matter of professional attitude.

IMO the real pro's do a better job because it is the right thing to do; and deserve a better wage. Most of the public understands this, even though there are always the tire kickers and cheapskates.

Better to flow WITH the rules than try to scoot around them... odds are one day the system will catch up with the ones under the radar.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    PA just changed over to having a license.

So your saying every contractor in PA. Was a hack because PA had no license?
    Thats not what I said.
    It's refreshing to pull your head out of the box when servicing a system.

Quote Originally Posted by absoair View Post
    Thats not what I said.
    How about saying contractors that don't bother to get their license in areas that have licensing. May be hacks.
    Just because someone has a license. Doesn't mean they aren't a hack.

I know NATE certified techs. That can't properly adjust manifold pressure on a sealed combustion unit.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Personally, I think this thread shows that a contractor doing quality work is not based on a license, it is based on an attitude.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

How about saying contractors that don't bother to get their license in areas that have licensing. May be hacks.

I know NATE certified techs. That can't properly adjust manifold pressure on a sealed combustion unit.
    I've seen plenty of licensed hackery in the last 9 years.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Personally, I think this thread shows that a contractor doing quality work is not based on a license, it is based on an attitude.
    Yep.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    But, it's nice to have both. Don't you agree?

How ya doin' J M ?

Why bother with a lic. program and not enforce it? What is the point in having one? That is all.

I know plenty of guys that are top notch (hell of a lot better at it than I am in some areas, not in others) that are not lic. I help them with install aspects and they help me with service aspects.
    It's refreshing to pull your head out of the box when servicing a system.

The guys in PA should of just went to a different state and got there licenses, at that point they could of moved back and performed work without being called a hack. Do I have to figure out these things for you BT?
    Global Warming or: None like it hot
    No pleasure, no rapture, no exquisite sin greater... than central air. -Dogma

Here's a link to a news article on licensing crackdown.
    http://www.kvue.com/news/local/stori...b.2eb654c.html

And here's a TDLR news release on another one.

TDLR Files Agreed Orders - $2,500 in Penalties Assessed

March 24, 2009
    For Immediate Release
    512-463-3208

AUSTIN - Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR) Agreed Orders assessed penalties totaling $2,500.

Bernardo O. Garcia, d/b/a A-C Express of San Antonio, Texas, was fined $1,000 for allowing an unlicensed individual to use his air conditioning and refrigeration contractor’s license to purchase and install air conditioning equipment into a residence in San Antonio.

Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation licenses are issued to individuals who have proven they possess the required knowledge to safely practice their trade and who have passed a Department of Public Safety criminal background check. The licenses are for the individual’s use only and it is a violation to loan or share the license.

Elevinio Varos, d/b/a/ Comfort Heating & Air Conditioning of San Antonio, Texas, was cited for performing air conditioning installation work without proper licensure by the State of Texas. The Class B violation received an administrative penalty of $1,500.

For more information on the air conditioning and refrigeration program please visit the TDLR website at www.license.state.tx.us.
    Created in 1909 as the Bureau of Labor Statistics, TDLR is celebrating its centennial anniversary. TDLR protects the public welfare and safety and promotes a fair and competitive business environment by regulating twenty-six diverse industries and programs, including barbering, cosmetology, boxing, air conditioning contractors, and architectural barriers.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast