Best Heat Pump Thermostat

Hi,
    I am in Massachusetts and have a heat pump system in my condo. I realize this is a bad setup for this area, but changing it out is not really an option. I had the heat pump replaced with a Trane unit in 2005, but the original air handler (with auxiliary heat strips or coils) remains. My question though, is about the thermostat. I currently have a Robertshaw non-programmable unit. It is set to call for heat when the temp variation is 1 degree. Every time though, it calls for the auxiliary heat strips/coils to come on with the heat pump. I have heard that there are newer thermostats that have new adaptive technology that will not call for the expensive backup strips with the heat pump every time. I would like to know which is the best for getting the heat pump to do the work as much as possible. Thanks in advance for all replies.

Good luck finding one! In the 1980's Honeywell made HP thermostats with "intelligent recovery". This delayed the backup strips kicking in if the thermostat switched from a setback to a temperature more than 3 degrees higher. Today, you'll find most thermostats (heatpump or otherwise) have "adaptive recovery" which simply turns on the heat 15-30min before the set back time changes. Hence, the common recommendation to set the temperature and leave it with heat pumps.

honeywell focus pro 8000 with a outdoor thermostat to lock out aux heat strips set it at about 40 degrees

Sounds more like your current thermostat is wired wrong.
    Adaptive recovery is not part of normal operation. Only used when you have a set back thermostat.

All new thermostats will call for the heat pump to run. Without the aux heat. Unless its required.

Any Honeywell of the Honeywell heat pump thermostats will do what you want.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    honeywell focus pro 8000 with a outdoor thermostat to lock out aux heat strips set it at about 40 degrees
    I like the idea of being able to lock out the heat strips without having to splice in a switch or something. The location of my condo in the building, and even worse the placement of the thermostat, makes for a very difficult installation of an external heater being wired in. Is there a workaround for this? Any other setback heat pump thermostats that have a feature to turn off the aux heat?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Adaptive recovery is not part of normal operation. Only used when you have a set back thermostat.

All new thermostats will call for the heat pump to run. Without the aux heat. Unless its required.

Any Honeywell of the Honeywell heat pump thermostats will do what you want.
    Interesting thought Beenthere. I don't remember the aux heat coming on so often in such mild temps in the past few years. I am thinking the thermostat itself may be giving up. Are the wiring colors standardized on these units? If so, I can post back what color wires are on which terminals.

Quote Originally Posted by elevatorguy View Post
    Are the wiring colors standardized on these units?
    Depends what color wires the original installer used!

Beenthere has a good point though; if you're sure the aux heat strip are coming along with the heatpump with any call for heat, somethings wrong. Given that you don't think it did this before, it seems unlikely to be a wiring problem (unless someone messed with it). I guess a failing thermostat could short the first stage heat and backup, but a non-programmable thermostat is pretty simple and shouldn't do this.

There's a lot can go wrong with messing with heatpumps yourself (moreso than regular separate heat/cool systems). I'd bite the bullet and get a reputable HVAC company to take a look at it.

Probably be easier to just have a company come out. See whats wrong. And correct it.

Takes the guess work out of it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by sktn77a View Post
    somethings wrong.
    good observation

Given that you don't think it did this before,it seems unlikely to be a wiring problem.
    i missed that part in his post, no wait, he never said it worked right before

I guess a failing thermostat could short the first stage heat and backup, but a non-programmable thermostat is pretty simple and shouldn't do this.
    if a non-programmable stat is raised enough, it's gonna kick on the auxillary heat as well.

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    I'll take (and personally have for my heat pump) the Honeywell VisionPro 8000 Series. Nice touch screen with good features.

Answer to your questions......

Honeywell 8000 heat pump t-stat (2 heat and 1 cool) installed and set up with an outdoor temp sensor. Honeywell IAQ if you don't have enough wires.

Have your service co bring one out and install it. If you were to try it yourself, there's a really good chance that you would join the ranks of all the other homeowners that think that this is just so easy, then have to call a tech out to fix what they messed up.
    The Lord must love stupid people or he wouldn't have made so many.

Why is it that when I am in a hurry, everyone else on the road goes 15 MPH under the speed limit?