Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Amana HP/AC contactors.

    I have the misfortune of working on these system that my company is installing(mainly to get the better tax credit and seem like a best consumer option).. Hey I'm a die hard carrier guy and don't appreciate a brand that uses grade b and c parts labelling themselves as a tier 1 brand.(just my opinion). anyway can any one tell me why on a 5ton hp(ssz1460) they're only putting on a 30amp contactor? comp.rla 26.4 and fan rla 1.5... that's 27.9 plus s/u surge ..not right when carrier, lennox, trane, etc. all use a 40 amp... any reasoning?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    9,548
    Maybe because a system hardly ever runs at its RLA, and if it did, its still below the contactor's rating.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
    I have the misfortune of working on these system that my company is installing(mainly to get the better tax credit and seem like a best consumer option).. Hey I'm a die hard carrier guy and don't appreciate a brand that uses grade b and c parts labelling themselves as a tier 1 brand.(just my opinion). anyway can any one tell me why on a 5ton hp(ssz1460) they're only putting on a 30amp contactor? comp.rla 26.4 and fan rla 1.5... that's 27.9 plus s/u surge ..not right when carrier, lennox, trane, etc. all use a 40 amp... any reasoning?
    They do come with a 10 year parts warranty, sooooo whats the problem?
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

    Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
    I have the misfortune of working on these system that my company is installing(mainly to get the better tax credit and seem like a best consumer option).. Hey I'm a die hard carrier guy and don't appreciate a brand that uses grade b and c parts labelling themselves as a tier 1 brand.(just my opinion). anyway can any one tell me why on a 5ton hp(ssz1460) they're only putting on a 30amp contactor? comp.rla 26.4 and fan rla 1.5... that's 27.9 plus s/u surge ..not right when carrier, lennox, trane, etc. all use a 40 amp... any reasoning?

    I'm a Trane dealer I sell more Amana than Trane right now. Great product, great warranty, affordable pricing, customers love it. Have you had problems or are just bashing a good brand cause you have nothing better to do!
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    east kansas
    Posts
    8,012
    Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    They do come with a 10 year parts warranty, sooooo whats the problem?

    So what's the standard labor warranty?
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

  6. #6
    just cause it's under warranty doesn't mean it can be wrong... and pshing the limit although not often isn't good practice with amp rated controls

  7. #7
    not bashing just not impressed.. sometimes when a company make a warranty this good they have an agenda to sell more product and deal with the few (or more that fail) just like nordyne with the tappan units and others.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Posts
    953
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
    just cause it's under warranty doesn't mean it can be wrong... and pshing the limit although not often isn't good practice with amp rated controls
    What was the amp draw on this system?
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

  9. #9
    23.8 running @20 min. run time.. 32 and change @ start-up , only briefly

  10. #10
    and sorry to the first ques. you asked.. I have had some problems w/ the h/p's especially...

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    4,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    So what's the standard labor warranty?
    1 year, but a 5 or ten year extended warranty can be purchased for a very small add on.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

    Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event