TAC Workplace Tech - Locks up

This is a bit of a royal PITA.... I am using Workplace Tech 5.72 (WPT) and Visio 2007. Job is BACNet, 12 MNB-1000's, about 55 VAVs, and a few other TAC BACNet devices. I have been connecting to the lead MNB-1000 through Ethernet (one per building is enabled for Ethernet use). I use Workplace Commissioning Tool to control the VAV's, and WPT to adjust each AHU. Throughout the entire job, the program has worked flawlessly (or as flawlessly as WPT can be).

I moved to another building, and was able to finalize one AHU (calibrating O/A, driving VAV's to max flow, etc etc.) I went to lunch. When I came back, I went to open the next AHU program (after saving and closing the first one). I added a monitor point to keep tabs on the O/A in FPM. All of a sudden, the program stopped responding. The program was acting like it was running on an EXTREMELY slow computer. Except, everything else on the computer works fine and shows no signs of slowing the computer. If you look at task manager, the VISIO.EXE process is using about 104MB of memory, but no CPU (or maybe 1% occasionally).

My harddrive was dying, or I needed a really good excuse to buy a larger drive. I reinstalled everything onto a new drive, with a fresh install of XP Pro SP3, Visio 2007 and all service packs. Go back to the job after a few days, and still the problem...

If I open the application for the AHU and connect to see live data, the program works fine. If I open Workplace Commissioning, then Visio will ground to a halt. Likewise if I open Commissioning tool, it will show all the devices on the network no problem. Open an application for a AHU, and it will bring WPT to its knees.

The control guy came out today to look at the situation, and had the same issue with his computer.

Thing is, the MNB is connected to the school's network, so you can see the entire school from from point. The only weird thing about this building is there is a computer lab that has its own network switch.

Anyone have any ideas?
    NeonHomer
    BAS/BMS Technician/Computer Technician

The definition of cruel joke is when you start work in BAS, and you run into your old T&B employer on the job.

I had the same problem with my last laptop. TAC suggested a few things (removing google toolbar was one), but ultimately they couldn't help. The only work around I could find at the time was to uninstall WPT - reboot, then reinstall WPT- reboot. It would then work fine for about a week, then would freeze again. Needless to say it is was a major PIA! I have since got a new laptop and have not had the same problem. Hope this helps.

Well, this laptop is about 5 yrs old or so... It's a P4 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB PATA hard drive, ATI chipset.

I don't know what the deal is. I would LOVE to get a new laptop (any my company said they would pay for part of it because I use it for work), but I hate to have to go through the hassle of reinstalling and reauthorizing Rover....
    NeonHomer

The definition of cruel joke is when you start work in BAS, and you run into your old T&B employer on the job.

I know WPT was not dual-core friendly on the old P4s. Also there are some important security settings for the Visio plugin functionality but that was usually either works or doesn't work vs. slowdowns or lockups.

WPT is not an application itself, but runs as a add-in to Visio.

I can go into Task Manager and select to use one or both cores for a program, but I think you have to do it every time you run it.

I noticed today on a different building, that it seemed to be better. Still dragging, but was responding. Things like menus taking time to show up, switching windows, etc etc... it didn't do this before.

Unless my laptop is just beginning to fail.... and this is the first sign of it.
    NeonHomer

Quote Originally Posted by neonhomer View Post
    Unless my laptop is just beginning to fail.... and this is the first sign of it.
    I use a couple core 2 duo machines. Each machine has long lags on start-up/splash screen and the first time property or config sheets are opened for the function blocks.

WPT does this everytime. After they're opened once, it's snappy. Definitely a hassle if you're doing contract work.

Hey

Hey neonhomer, I'm doing an academic project with bacnet, I'd like to know where can I get " Workplace Tech 5.72 (WPT)" becuase I have the mnb 70 controller and I want to do a tiny graphical interface and programm it.

thanks a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by neonhomer View Post
    This is a bit of a royal PITA.... I am using Workplace Tech 5.72 (WPT) and Visio 2007. Job is BACNet, 12 MNB-1000's, about 55 VAVs, and a few other TAC BACNet devices. I have been connecting to the lead MNB-1000 through Ethernet (one per building is enabled for Ethernet use). I use Workplace Commissioning Tool to control the VAV's, and WPT to adjust each AHU. Throughout the entire job, the program has worked flawlessly (or as flawlessly as WPT can be).

I moved to another building, and was able to finalize one AHU (calibrating O/A, driving VAV's to max flow, etc etc.) I went to lunch. When I came back, I went to open the next AHU program (after saving and closing the first one). I added a monitor point to keep tabs on the O/A in FPM. All of a sudden, the program stopped responding. The program was acting like it was running on an EXTREMELY slow computer. Except, everything else on the computer works fine and shows no signs of slowing the computer. If you look at task manager, the VISIO.EXE process is using about 104MB of memory, but no CPU (or maybe 1% occasionally).

My harddrive was dying, or I needed a really good excuse to buy a larger drive. I reinstalled everything onto a new drive, with a fresh install of XP Pro SP3, Visio 2007 and all service packs. Go back to the job after a few days, and still the problem...

If I open the application for the AHU and connect to see live data, the program works fine. If I open Workplace Commissioning, then Visio will ground to a halt. Likewise if I open Commissioning tool, it will show all the devices on the network no problem. Open an application for a AHU, and it will bring WPT to its knees.

The control guy came out today to look at the situation, and had the same issue with his computer.

Thing is, the MNB is connected to the school's network, so you can see the entire school from from point. The only weird thing about this building is there is a computer lab that has its own network switch.

Anyone have any ideas?

The copy of WPT I have was licensed to me by a local TAC dealer. You might be able to contact TAC and they might be able to get you a copy of it on an academic basis if you prove your need.
    NeonHomer