Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many watts does my heat pump use?

Post Likes

How many watts does my heat pump use?

I couldn't find this information on the unit or online. It is a Trane 3 Ton split heat pump, outdoor section model # 4TWX4036A1000AB, Indoor section model# 4TEE3F37A1000AA.

I would like to know how many watts are used with just the heat pump running and with heat pump and emergency heat.

Thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    volts X amps = watts

Post Likes
    The watts the HP uses will vary as the OD temp varies.
    The colder it is, the less watts it uses, it also provides less heat.
    You need to know the KW rating of your aux heat to know how many watts it uses.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    The watts the HP uses will vary as the OD temp varies.
    The colder it is, the less watts it uses, it also provides less heat.
    You need to know the KW rating of your aux heat to know how many watts it uses.
    Where can I find the rating for my aux heat? Is is not the same for all of the model # I listed?

Is the a graph somewhere of the HP power usage?

Thanks

Post Likes
    The same size air handler can have different size strip heater packages.
    Contact the installing contractor, he should have the spec guide for the unit.

Post Likes
    The heat strip size should be marked on the exterior of the Air Handler.

It is located on the data plate with model/serial. Below model/serial are several boxes and 1 should be checked or filled in to indicate what size heater is in the unit. Some people write in on the outside of the cabinet with marker to make it easier on the techs that come out.

then, like said before, volt x amps = watts.

example.... 10KW heater rated at 60 amps at 240 volts....

60 x 240 = 14,400 watts.

That is not exact nor will it be with your unit. Because the amps won't be exactly 60 and the voltage won't be exactly 240. Have a service tech take the measurements for you at your next routine service. Then you can do the math on your time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    volts X amps = watts
    Actually volts x amps = VA

volts x amps x PF = watts

Compressors are not unity PF so there is some difference (watts will be lower than VA by 10-15&#37.

paul

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post
    I couldn't find this information on the unit or online. It is a Trane 3 Ton split heat pump, outdoor section model # 4TWX4036A1000AB, Indoor section model# 4TEE3F37A1000AA.

I would like to know how many watts are used with just the heat pump running and with heat pump and emergency heat.

Thanks for the help.
    That is a 3 ton heat pump.

I can give you figures for my 3-ton Goodman heat pump so they should be in the ball park. The kw's are for the outside unit only.

60F, 2.86 kw
    50F, 2.75 kw
    40F, 2.64 kw
    30F, 2.6 kw
    20F, 2.53 kw
    10F, 2.41 kw
    0F, 2.30 kw
    -10F, 2.19 kw

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Post Likes
    The easiest and most accurate way to find out is to turn everything off except the heat pump system and check your electric meter. First with no electric backup, and then with it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by adama View Post

2.85 kW average for 4TWX4036

8 kW or 10 kW may be typical auxiliary heat on a 3-ton for Southern U.S. 10 to 15 kW for Northern U.S.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    14 SEER = 14,000 btu/ kwh
    36,000btu = 2.57kw

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by capecool View Post
    Wrong (sorry). So a 14 SEER only produces 14,000 btu/hour? That would be a little more than 1 ton.

SEER = EER (at 82F) x fudge factor, for a fixed speed air handler.

For a v-s air handler, the calc is much more complicated.

Take care.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    Wrong (sorry). So a 14 SEER only produces 14,000 btu/hour? That would be a little more than 1 ton.
    Gary - I think you misread what he said. It was per kilowatt hour.

Post Likes

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by capecool View Post
    36,000btu = 2.57kw
    One needs to use EER to determine operating kW.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterloo View Post
    Gary - I think you misread what he said. It was per kilowatt hour.
    I misread that - my bust, thank you.

14 EER is 14,000 btu per kw-hr.

EER = system cooling btu's (at 95F outside laboratory conditions) / condenser amp draw (watts).

A 36,000 btu system (3 tons) that draws 2571 watts is 14 EER.

Take care.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by iraqveteran View Post
    example.... 10KW heater rated at 60 amps at 240 volts....

60 x 240 = 14,400 watts.

That would make it a 14.4KW strip heater.

Seen a lot of installs where the installer didn't mark which kit he installed.
    Your right it should be marked, but many are not.

Post Likes
    Based on what i'm hearing here, It sounds like you might have 1 8kw strip, and one 5 kw strip. Just my thought when I read the post.

I seen the guy's talking about 2k ish watts for 3 tons, I know 1 watt is equal to 3.412 Btu's, so for 2k ish watts that be about 8k btu's, Not exactly sure whats meant by those 2k watts. It sounds like the heat pump is putting out more btu's than it is taking in, about 27k more btu's actually.

Post Likes
    Look on the outside unit data plate (I assume your unit has one) for the FLA number. FLA stands for Full Load Amperes. It is the current the unit will draw at full normal load. There will also be a LRA, or Locked Rotor Amps number. That is not the one you want.

Multiply the FLA number by 216. Unless you have some sort of weird power, the result will be pretty darn close to the actual number of watts during normal full power operation.

You will have to find out the wattage of your auxiliary heat strips yourself. Just add that number to the number obtained previously to get the total power with heat strips in operation.

Post Likes
    I wasn't aware of the FLA and LRA plate.

Lets say you have a 2486 watt heat pump with no electric strips. The unit uses 220 volts at 11.3 amps.

total Btus = 2486*3.412 Btu's 8482

So, is this all heat pumps put out? A "0.7" Ton heat pump for most residential units? Also, I've seen input ratings and output ratings in Btu's, The input ratings I believe if not mistaken is higher than the output.

If so, it wouldn't even be 0.7 btu's, more like 0.5. half ton, Could this be correct?

Post Likes
    It is a Heat PUMP, not a HEATER. A heat pump uses energy to move heat from one area to another. Typically it will move five to ten times as much heat energy as it consumes in electrical energy to power it. A heater will only produce slightly less heat energy as the amount of electrical energy it consumes. Some energy will be lost as sound or possibly even light.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in