+ Reply to Thread

Thread: System not cooling well

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

System not cooling well

I need help figuring out a system that is not performing very well, nor has it ever from what I am told. I have two systems installed in a small house that has been converted into a restaurant. A 5 ton that is used to cool the dining area that works fine. The problem system is a 2.5 ton straight cool with a fixed orifice and no electric heat that is used to spot cool the kitchen. Both the supplies and returns are located in the kitchen and are the correct sizes. Neither of the coils are heavily soiled and the Freon charge is very close: delta-T – 85/75 degrees; ID wet – 76 degrees; OD dry - 91 degrees; suction line had 83 psig at 78 degrees; liquid line had 303 psig at 127 degrees.
    To me, it seems because of the high heat load, the system might need a larger piston (if so, about how much larger) and/or add some cooler return air from the dining room into the kitchen. What would you suggest?

Post Likes
    Sorry, this is not a DIY site. So we are not allowed to give out advise of this nature.

Since answering your question in the open Residential Forums would be posting instruction for DIYers that may read this post later.

If your in the trade, get your post count up to 15, and apply for Pro Membership.
    Then use this link Apply for Pro Membership

Once accepted, you have access to the pro tech forums. Where you can ask and get answers to technical questions.

Plus, you also have access to the Pro Educational Forums.

All of it is free.

But. You might want to think about how clean those coils aren't.
    2.5 tons isn't much for a kitchen. It may never be able to really cool the kitchen.

Post Likes
    Thanks for your assumption. But this is my trade, it has been for about 5 years. As far as needing 15 posts before I can apply to be a Pro member, well it just not going to happen. I probably do not have 15 post total in my life. I may get on a few forums to read from time to time but I don’t post on them.

Post Likes
    Sorry to hear that.
    We have a large group of experienced techs to cover most areas of the trade.
    You should reconsider.

Post Likes
    Been my experience that a commercial kitchen -- even a small one will eat up 4-5 tons very quickly. Sounds like you are undersized and larger piston won't help.

Post Likes
    I agree with AACHP. Have you done a heat load calculation?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in