Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1

    Gas fireplace flame goes out

    I have a Napoleon gas fireplace which starts fine and runs for about 30 minutes and then goes out. If I turn the switch back off and on after a few minutes it restarts. The pilot flame stays on normally all the time. Any ideas what I should do?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    392
    First, this is a website for trained industry professionals to exchange ideas and is not a DIY website. The rules of this website do not allow us to give DIY advice. Gas fireplaces can be very dangerous for the untrained individual to try and repair.

    Second, gas fireplaces can be complicated devices. Anyone qualifed to give advice would need a lot more information to properly comment on this subject. Kinda like if you posted this about your car on a mechanic's website:
    "my car starts fine and runs for about 30 minutes and then dies. If I turn the switch back off and on after a few minutes it restarts."

    Call a local professional. If you post your city/state, we may be able to point you in the right direction.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada-in the Banana Belt!!
    Posts
    211
    Aww...don't u just want to tell him the thermopile is bad...or maybe the switch or t-stat is resistive....or...lol

    Call a pro buddy!!

  4. #4
    I've been dealing with the same exact problem with my Napoleon. I've tried 4 different HVAC contractors. I've only had 1 of them actually show up to look at the unit and that was over a month and a half ago! Still no answers from any of them so please save the snide comments like "call a pro buddy". Some of us are pretty good "do it yourselfers" We just need a little advise from time to time and it's frustrating when even the manufacturers can't help out.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Wegner View Post
    I've been dealing with the same exact problem with my Napoleon. I've tried 4 different HVAC contractors. I've only had 1 of them actually show up to look at the unit and that was over a month and a half ago! Still no answers from any of them so please save the snide comments like "call a pro buddy". Some of us are pretty good "do it yourselfers" We just need a little advise from time to time and it's frustrating when even the manufacturers can't help out.
    Find the dealer who sells Napoleon appliances and get his factory trained tech to service it. If you don't get satisfaction that way, contact Napoleon directly.
    I think he died a couple hundred years ago though.

    "Call a pro buddy" is not a snide comment.
    A snide comment would be one like "We can't help those who don't know how to read." Namely, the site rules. The site rules are there for a reason, to protect you from yourself and us from the liability of bypassing that rule.

    Have a nice day!

  6. #6
    That doesn't work when the dealer I bought it from is out of business and most other dealers will give me the line of "didn't buy it from me- I won't service it" I called Napoleon already- and of course you know what they will say- "can't give you any information if you are not a contractor" So back to my main point- how do I get any answers? Very frustrating! Kicking myself for buying a gas fireplace instead of electric.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    willowick ,oh
    Posts
    261
    Buy a new one, and follow the installation instuctions. PROBLEM SOLVED. And you're welcome. Did you try to google it. Works for me

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Wegner View Post
    That doesn't work when the dealer I bought it from is out of business and most other dealers will give me the line of "didn't buy it from me- I won't service it" I called Napoleon already- and of course you know what they will say- "can't give you any information if you are not a contractor" So back to my main point- how do I get any answers? Very frustrating! Kicking myself for buying a gas fireplace instead of electric.
    Phone Napoleon again. And again until they send you a qualified technician.
    Don't think they will give you diy service help though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    392
    Gas fireplaces may resemble gas HVAC equipment, but they have different safety systems and totally different rules of service.

    If you are not intimately familiar with them, death and property damage can occur.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by logdoc_rob View Post
    Gas fireplaces may resemble gas HVAC equipment, but they have different safety systems and totally different rules of service.

    If you are not intimately familiar with them, death and property damage can occur.
    So true. Different rules for thermocouple characteristics among them so that is just one of the reasons why you need a proper service tech. A lot of knowledgable hvac techs are not qualified so a diy'er all the more dangerous.

    Hassle Napoleon until you get satisfaction.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    392
    koolkahuna, I had one today that a customer had her neighbor, who was a gas certified plumber, work on her vent free gas logs. After my cleaning, I go into diagnostic mode and see the thermocouple dangling and tell he that I will have to come back with a new pilot assembly.....$$$ thanks to her plumber who "adjusted" her pilot assemble and broke it!!!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    S.E. Pa
    Posts
    6,225
    A snide comment is biting the hand that feeds you. For one, this site has a lot of info. in the Archives. Within those Archives are links to various hearth industry organizations that may link you to a qualified hearth pro. However, you both failed to provide your location in the profiles so we are unable to recommend someone near you.

    The problem described can be any one of a number of things--all of which are beyond the scope of DIY and most require specific instruments and tools to service and test. Not knowing what you are doing can get you hurt. For instance, the problem described may lead to a delayed ignition, which could shatter the glass and blind or burn you. As a former mfrs rep. I've been involved in a number of cases where some "pretty good" DIY'ers got injured from attempting to service/ modify or tinker with a hearth appliance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event