Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Phila, PA
    Posts
    186

    oil burner problem delayed ignition

    It takes about 10 sec to lite, this causes a blow back through damper. Checked electrode gaps and nozzle is clean. I'm thinking transformer weak, how do I properly check this, any help appreciated.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    mechanical room
    Posts
    1,255
    there are two testers i use, my favorite is the donagon tester and the powermate, of course the ol screwdriver test, i like a bright blueish white arc

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    115
    Unhook your burner motor from you primary control so that your pump doesent run fold your ing transformer back. I use my screwdriver touch it directly to one side of the transformer start the furnace and hold over the other side until it arc but do not touch the other side then pull away see how far you can go before it quits arcing if less then half inch i would replace. But i dont think thats your prtoblem . What are you working on ?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    SouthEast NC ICW & Piedmont Foothills
    Posts
    7,635
    if you are talking commercial burner and you have 10 seconds of oil dumping in there

    YOU

    ARE

    GOING TO

    BLOW

    SOMETHING

    SKY HIGH
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Phila, PA
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    if you are talking commercial burner and you have 10 seconds of oil dumping in there

    YOU

    ARE

    GOING TO

    BLOW

    SOMETHING

    SKY HIGH
    I'm not the most experienced oil guy, but I do know that much!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Phila, PA
    Posts
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by Little NATE View Post
    Unhook your burner motor from you primary control so that your pump doesent run fold your ing transformer back. I use my screwdriver touch it directly to one side of the transformer start the furnace and hold over the other side until it arc but do not touch the other side then pull away see how far you can go before it quits arcing if less then half inch i would replace. But i dont think thats your prtoblem . What are you working on ?
    It's a peerless boiler 300,000 btu boiler with a beckett burner M# CF375.
    What else could it be? I had it apart, cleaned it from side and top, pulled the burner out and cleaned the chamber. Checked gap on electrodes and cleaned nozzle, fired it up and I'm getting delayed ignition?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    mechanical room
    Posts
    1,255
    sorry, actually its the allanson and donagon testers

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    chicago
    Posts
    34
    Improper fuel mixture.

    Do yourself a huge favor and get an oil guy out to help you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    SouthEast NC ICW & Piedmont Foothills
    Posts
    7,635
    1- is this a single nozzle,duplex or tri-plex?

    2- what is your pump pressure?

    3--is there a solenoid?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Boston MA.
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by furnacefighter View Post
    Improper fuel mixture.

    Do yourself a huge favor and get an oil guy out to help you.
    Ditto !

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Mid Michigan
    Posts
    319
    What is your air flow like going into the burner and out of the vent pipe.

    You may have a fouled sections. Having done alot of residential

    fuel oil service. I have found that the heat exchanger need to be cleaned

    every couple of years.
    Waddya mean don't thaw out the frig with a knive?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Connectitaxed
    Posts
    2,644
    Quote Originally Posted by fr420 View Post
    It takes about 10 sec to lite, this causes a blow back through damper. Checked electrode gaps and nozzle is clean. I'm thinking transformer weak, how do I properly check this, any help appreciated.
    Is it attempting to light for the 10 seconds ? How is the arc at visual? Pull the the burner at this time and check without fuel to check the ignition. most oil will light up but burn poorly with mixture issues. In other words you should be seeing some burn for a poor mixture unless you have no air coming into the chamber.
    Last edited by pdrake65; 10-13-2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: add on

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4
    most likely primary air set to high on burner blowing fuel away from ignition until it builds up then BOOM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event