Veterans Administration
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Veterans Administration

Anyone use the VA for their primary health care? What about the level of care? It's been 25 years since I got out of the military and just now using my VA benifit. Got an appointment coming up soon for a medical problem I have been having. There is a large VA hospital and clinic close by. Guess I will find out soon.
    It is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, for we are in deep crap.

Talking

I 've only been in the system a little over a year.......your first visit is going to bring back memories of the service.
    They don't have proper funding. They can't say it, but it is obvious...

My first year, I saw about 6 different Drs....only two of them speak, what I refer to as functional English. This is just my observation...

They purchase their meds in bulk. You will either have to double up or split pills in half. Refills are usually a different manufacturer and a different color. This would be very confusing for anyone especially the elderly.

When I was drafted they guaranteed me two things, a military funeral and free health care. Well I haven't got the funeral part but the health care is no longer free. It is based on income. If you have private insurance you must inform them and they run everything through them. What the insurance does not pay, they eat.....

Gotta a app. with my clinic in the morning, I'm gonna hang in there for a while longer. My wife provides our insurance and it is a matter of time till her job goes off shore.
    I'm an old man and will get by, I'm just concerned for our troops coming home now...

Good Luck....

"Value our Differences"

I do, and I find that the level of care depends greatly on the doctor that will become your primary. My current doctor is a quack. Tries to push pills for every little thing. I am not real happy with him. I will be transferring when they build and open a clinic closer to me and my work. Suppose to be soon. The other doctors and facilities I have been too, including two of my areas large VA hospitals, have all been great.

The other downside for many people is the waiting list. Many clinics are overloaded and have a long wait time for appointments. The higher your disability rating the higher your priority on the wait list goes.

I sent for their booklet on benefits but I am afraid some incompetent doctor in their system will kill me, and my death will not be sudden or pleasant.
    Using their facilities will be the last resort for me.

Speaking of booklets you should see all the special benefits Vets can get mostly because the service apparently negligently or callously exposed servicemembers to known or unknown health hazards. It's outrageous. It seems that Due Diligence or Duty of Care are alien concepts.
    We guys/gals really are/were the Property of the US Government.

Smile They are "OK"

They are as effiecent as private Doctor's .
    Sign up first to give them "all" details.Have you DD 214 with you "if' you havent got the primary doctor Yet .
    PAPER-WORK AS USUALL
    Co pay is available depending on "income".
    General rule of order>
    1st the give you a primary care doctor .
    2nd if you havent been provided one , go to the Clinic as seeking help for pain
    3rd if you really go to becuase of pain , then go to their emergency room directly .
    Last edited by derbysr; 10-12-2009 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    Matt 7:12 The Golden Rule
    "Do for others what you would like them to do for you. This summary of all is taught in the law and the prophets.

Hey Fridgetator, hopefully they can clear up that acne, and fix your teeth.

They practically killed my Dad in Indianapolis...lawsuit filed, and they paid.

He never went back other than to get his "free" prescribed medicine and even that we had approved by his "real" doctor before we would let him take it.

I feel they were responsible for my mother-in-laws death. They had father-in-law on 48 different pills And he fell asleep at the wheel run off the road and hit a tree.

my father has Parkinsons, they had him on one medication that was doing a good job of controlling the symptoms.

some effin beancounter decided to switch him to a generic brand and it just won't work like the original med.

he has been fighting them for at least 2 months to get the original med even had the doctors calling for him. so far no luck he has had to pay out of pocket to get what he needs........

I also use the VA. They are just as good as the private doctors. They have been helping me a ton. I have a hard time getting around due to a brain disease. I am getting a ramp connected to my house tomorrow. They have a power chair on order and my vehicle is going to be equipped to transport the chair. They have also offered to make modifications to my house to make it wheel chair friendly. If not for the VA I would only be able to dream about these things. Thank You VA.

My opinion of the VA changes everytime I have an appoitment with them. The normal procedure is you walk in and swipe your va id card, have a seat and wait to be called, and you will wait, then the primary care taker's nurse will call you in and take BP,temp, etc and ask you why you are there. He or she will enter everyting you say into the computer (your record) and then you return to wait until you are called by your primary caretaker. He or she will then review your record and address any issues you have. What I find so interesting is they pass out pills like they are candy. If they prescribe a certain med for your issue they normally provide it in a 90 day supply. I have had to change meds several times because i couldn't tolerate the first med they prescribed. The end result I ended up paying for the first 90 day supply and then the second. So now I make them give me a 30 day supply and if that med doesnt work for you then you can change it without having to pay for the full 90 day supply.

The other issue I have is that alot of the nursing staff and doctors do NOT speak the english language very well. It is hard to establish trust with someone you cannot understand or has to use a second person to translate. They also use alot of medical students during summer months of which again alot do not speak and understand english.

But hey, it is cheaper than private facilities!
    Learn the process not the procedure--the process will dictate the procedure-If ya understand how it works ya knows how to fix it!

I have been in the system for about 5 years. Am on the East coast. Fast, efficient service. Blood test takes about 15 min. I hear the West Coast is not as good. Only complaint I have is that I dont like the cardiologist they sent me to and am going to a different one next month. Like the idea of refilling meds online. Great option. Meds all come USPS. Ray
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

These are all very interesting responses.....some good some bad....I will let you know on how my appointment goes.....I know they have a well kept cementary....hope I don't end up there, but for a final resting place it would not be bad
    It is time for all good men to come to the aid of their country, for we are in deep crap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast