+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lap top purchase

Post Likes

Lap top purchase

Coolwhip is going to purchase a Mac Book Pro with the 15in. monitor. Im new to the Mac and have visited the store and read the entire website. If there is any wisdom yall can provide me, please do.

Thank you!

-Me

Post Likes
    Yea, purchase a PC.....lol

Post Likes
    what do u want to use a mac for? if u do editing of video and music they are the machine to have..if u want normal web surfing, word processing, spread sheets then they will frustrate u.

Mac people are like a cult..they will argue with u that there machine is unstoppable...as they are trying to find ether a hack or an update in order to make a program run that with a pc runs automatically

Post Likes
    I'm with these guys.

Why mac?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I'm with these guys.

Why mac?
    Good salesman?

Post Likes
    Macs are great in many ways. their software disign is much more user friendly and they are not subject to internet viruses and such.

Once you use one for a while, you will hate other systems.

I will use it for recording and will have recording software on it.

Post Likes
    The only thing with the Mac is that the names of all stuff is different, probably to avoid patent infringement.
    Instead of Internet Explorer, it's "Safari."
    And you don't put documents in "folders", you put them in "places."

You should purchase the one-on-one classes or the phone help. The manual for my desktop is 1/4" thk and should be about 4" thk.

But with the built-in camera, and playing background music from Youtube, WhoIsThat? can make his own music videos, which, so far, are terrible.

You can also go on Skype.

Post Likes
    I use Mac, Windows and Linux every day for work. Personally, I like the Mac the best of all. We have the Windows PC and Linux machines for software and user compatibility. Make sure that any critical software you need will run on the Mac. This can create an "Oh S**T" situation later on if you don't check. I'm writing now from a new MacBook Pro 15. Just got it two weeks ago :-) Running the latest Snow Leopard 10.6.1

Two options that I highly recommend if it's in your budget:
    1 - Solid State Hard Drive (SSD)
    2 - As much additional RAM as you can purchase.

The SSD is the single largest performance boost I've ever seen. You really need to experience it to believe what it can do. It was so good, in fact, that I requested an order for several more SSDs to retrofit some older laptops. The increase in performance is staggering. Another benefit is that you don't have to worry about shock damage from dropping or knocking the laptop when it's running. And more, the battery life will increase significantly and the heat output will be reduced.

Lots of RAM is great, especially if you do stuff with audio / video editing, Photoshop, Aperture and other intensive apps. If you run any virtual machines with Parallels or VMware Fusion, then more RAM is a must. If you start swapping to the system disk while running a VM, the system is going to just puke and slow way down.

I have lots more info if you have more questions.

Oh, an on the screen, I opted for the matte "anti-glare" screen. There are two options, glossy and anti-glare. Some people like the wet look of the glossy screen. I can't stand it, drives me bonkers with all the reflections.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Great info Brainslice...thanks!!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Great info Brainslice...thanks!!
    He just said that to make you feel better because we we're all picking on you. He really likes his PC better.

Post Likes
    Mac can be a PC too, if you need that sort of thing...
    PC can also be a Mac, not as easy to do though.

If you're making a Windows to Mac switch cold-turkey, you're in for a learning curve

Post Likes
    Go with a mac! I've used Both PC and Mac. Both have their differences. Mac's don't get viruses. My Macbook has been going strong for three plus years and used daily with no problems.

Post Likes
    total bs i have seen many macs get viruses and the dreaded bomb pop up with it crashes

Quote Originally Posted by gztech View Post
    Go with a mac! I've used Both PC and Mac. Both have their differences. Mac's don't get viruses. My Macbook has been going strong for three plus years and used daily with no problems.

Post Likes
    I've heard that only 4% of the viruses out there can attack a Mac. It's pretty good odds.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoIsThat? View Post
    I've heard that only 4% of the viruses out there can attack a Mac. It's pretty good odds.
    Only because the overall number of Macs is miniscule. Hacks like bigger targets

Macs are gay. You should be right at home with it

I like PC's for the wealth of software available for them. You might want to hold out a few months for the Windows 7 OS.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    Macs are gay. You should be right at home with it
    http://www.google.com/search?client=...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
    Not even one of these 15 descriptions apply to me, but maybe I could learn. . .?

Post Likes
    I also use both. I use the Mac for photography. When a mac has a hardware problem, you're in for a huge pricey repair.
    Doug

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by brainslice View Post
    he SSD is the single largest performance boost I've ever seen. You really need to experience it to believe what it can do. It was so good, in fact, that I requested an order for several more SSDs to retrofit some older laptops. The increase in performance is staggering. Another benefit is that you don't have to worry about shock damage from dropping or knocking the laptop when it's running. And more, the battery life will increase significantly and the heat output will be reduced.
    Agree 100% but get the Intel SSD. It's superior to the others.

Post Likes
    If you order an Apple with the Apple SSD option, it's not going to be an Intel drive. At least not for now anyway.

It is an option to purchase the laptop with a regular drive and then swap in an SSD later on yourself.

I agree that the Intel drives are the best available. Specifically the 34nm Gen2 models. Don't get the Gen1, prices are too high and performance is lower. I retrofitted a MacBook Pro 15 (~ 2yrs old) with an Intel X25-M 160GB SSD model SSDSA2MH160G2C1 (C1 is the OEM packaging, R5 is retail packaging with 3.5" adapter) Gave it back to the user for a test drive and she was like The last ones I ordered from CDW took about 3 weeks for delivery. Don't order from Newegg, they're gouging like crazy on these.

Now if Apple would only support SSD TRIM in Snow Leopard

Post Likes
    I have a dell xps 1330 with ssd just looked is a samsung

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in