Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Possible career change?

I currently work in the law enforcement field where I have been for the last five years. I am basically getting tired of the hours, working all the weekends holidays etc...

I possibly have an opportunity to enter into the HVAC field. I currently have no experience but have found a company who will hire me in. Basically this would include me attending a one month school and then coming back and working with an experienced tech. I would then be cut loose after that initial field training and begin to do I am assuming basic service work.

I have checked and the company is very reputable. My question is would this be a good way to enter the field??? I believe during that month long school I would gain my NATE certification and I believe one other. Looking for advice as I need to make my decision here in the very near future. Thanks in advance.

ya itd be a good way to get started but jus a warning, in this field u do work some crazy hours when its real busy and then when it gets slow u work less hours, theres a lot of turnover at most companies, the benfits r usually wek unless ur union, the pay is also not great usually. its fun (sometimes) tho. i used to work as a firemen and i too was tired of the hours and how political it was, in this field there is always sumtn to learn, i was lucky enough to do this while i was a firemen and i eventually got into the union so my pay and benfits are pretty good. think long and hard about leaving sumtn as stable as law enforcement bc of the job security n benefits

Thanks for the response. Why do you think there is alot of turn over at these companies. This company in particular is owned by a manufactuer of heating and air equip so the benefits are pretty good (non-union). They say my first year should be in the range of $35,000 and then by years 2-3 should be in the $50's, does that sound about right? I guess I am just nervous about starting all over in something... Thanks again.

What state do you reside?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Indiana

just a bit of a heads up...make sure u get proper schooling..not sure about he one month thing (maybe sales?) Most of us have gone ether full time school or night school for a multiple of years (4 yrs for me) and i am still being sent to schools. Also is the salary they gave u is that flat or with percentage of sales?
    not trying to chase u away but the money is not the 1st reason i am in this trade..i love science and this carrier is full of that. sorry if i am random enjoying a gin and tonic.

The money they are talking is a base hourly + comission. That is why it was an estimate. I too was wondering about the school thing. From what I understande during the one month you get your two base certs and then alot of the rest in on-the-job etc... They said after four years or so many thousand of hours I could test for Journeymen's.

what county...or if u don't want to give that what part of the state?
    Commercial or residential? do u enjoy science or new technology? are u a small or big guy? did u try more than one employer? sorry about 20 questions

Near the second largest city in the state (northeastern) part of IN. I am average height fairly slender. This is the first company I have tried.

we are in the same city, If u do not have the right trade school degree (collage, ABC, union) i don't think the county will allow u to test unless u have 5 yrs instead of 4 yrs of apprenticeship. Those $$ amount seem high to me..u would have to sell every old lady a part to make something like that your first year. If u are serious about this company ask for some true numbers. There are some residential companies that will send u on HVAC,plumbing and electrical calls because "they do it all"

Is there a way to PM on here?

i am looking on how..i think u must be a professional member..if u want to chat we can tomorrow night if u have yahoo. (no guarantees as i am on call)

PM feature is for Professional Members only.

As stated, those salary numbers are high for someone of your qualifications.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast