+ Reply to Thread

Thread: NATE certification

Post Likes

NATE certification

I was just wondering at how big of a benefit it would be for me to get my natie certification. I am curently laid off and there is basicly no jobs available in my area. Im an installer who went to college for HVAC/R with 2 years of experience.

does any of you know of some good books to read in studieing for the NATE? Right now i think i would take core installation along with gas heat. Unless your allowed to take more then 1 specialty at a time.

Thank you

Post Likes
    If you belong to RSES I would say take the Certificate Member exam. The first one is free if you are a member. If you are not a member it is 103.00 to join. If you keep your membership active the certification stays active. with Nate you have to re test every few years. The Certificate Member Certification is equivalent to a two year degree. If you really would rather go with Nate the study guide is $59.00. It comes in a big yellow binder. With Rses the study guides are all online (SAM Manual) for free (if you are a member.

Post Likes
    I know if I was laid off money would be more of a concern than a Nate certification. Just my opinion.

Post Likes
    With the job market the way that it is, i'd go for any advantage i possiblly could.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bee View Post
    If you belong to RSES I would say take the Certificate Member exam. The first one is free if you are a member. If you are not a member it is 103.00 to join. If you keep your membership active the certification stays active. with Nate you have to re test every few years. The Certificate Member Certification is equivalent to a two year degree. If you really would rather go with Nate the study guide is $59.00. It comes in a big yellow binder. With Rses the study guides are all online (SAM Manual) for free (if you are a member.
    good point, NATE seems money driven to me

Post Likes
    The last guy that worked for me was NATE certified and since I now know that he was a royal a$$hat and didn't know how to fix much I won't be any more likely to hire a NATE cert tech than a non-NATE cert tech. Just my .02.

Post Likes
    i wouldnt waste my time/money on study guides. i thnk its hard to study for, u either know it or u dont, its lik the ACT/SAT u took in HS, if u know ur stuff ull be fine

Post Likes
    alot of companys get a boner if u have ur NATE, ull prolly be offered more money too

Post Likes

NATE is just a pretty little card in the wallet along with some abrasive arm patches that scratch the hell out of you. I'm not goin to lie though. I am NATE certified and business owners get horny when they see you have it. For the amount you spend on the test compared to the amount given just for having it is well worth it. the test is hard but the the yellow training manual is very helpful. NATE is the most recognized cert in the business right now so you can pretty much take it anywhere. The business owners like it because they can use it as a marketing tool. NATE has a consumer locator that they can subscribe to. When you weigh the good vs. bad with the test. it turns out economically you will be better off to have it. You can never show enough paper to a potential employer and the more you have the more you are worth. just may be enough to edge out the guy applying for the same position as you.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in