Thread: Duct Camera

Duct Camera

I've decided that it would be good to have a duct camera (AKA "Push Camera"); would appreciate any comments on recommended features, preferred brands, etc. Many thanks!

Thanks! Looks like the camera base is on wheels. How does it do going through 5" to 8" flex duct? Do you have any problems getting around the screws securing round ducts? Again, thanks.

Another Question

I'll be looking for restrictions in flex ducts. I'm planning on going through branch ducts from the air outlets, and it'd be nice to continue into the main ducts for a look around. Will it fit around an open volume damper?

Quote Originally Posted by ferd42 View Post
    Thanks! Looks like the camera base is on wheels. How does it do going through 5" to 8" flex duct? Do you have any problems getting around the screws securing round ducts? Again, thanks.
    Huh , take the duct down, look thru it with a Mag Light, if you see any tears, mold, crushed/broken spiral wire, chuck it in the trash. Replacements aren't that expensive. If you put any roving camera in the duct it's going to drop down when you get to the main duct, and you'll be taking the Flex off anyway, to get it back. When you install a new flex do it right, any sharp bends use a round metal 90, Use a duct zip-tie cinched with the proper tool, put three to four sheet metal screws behind the tie. Pull the insulation over, the fitting and up and over any metal 90, Duct zip tie the insulation. Notice there is "NO" tape or mastic used.

Quote Originally Posted by madhat View Post
    Huh , take the duct down, look thru it with a Mag Light, if you see any tears, mold, crushed/broken spiral wire, chuck it in the trash. Replacements aren't that expensive. If you put any roving camera in the duct it's going to drop down when you get to the main duct, and you'll be taking the Flex off anyway, to get it back. When you install a new flex do it right, any sharp bends use a round metal 90, Use a duct zip-tie cinched with the proper tool, put three to four sheet metal screws behind the tie. Pull the insulation over, the fitting and up and over any metal 90, Duct zip tie the insulation. Notice there is "NO" tape or mastic used.
    Prince William County VA begs to differ about the tape, that county has a code where the ul181 fx or funny tape often called must be used on all flexible ducting

Good for Prince William County; that complies with the ADC Standards. And what's with the screws? Do you think that stuff's going to fly away?

I've been reworking my flex in Sussex County, DE; no Codes or inspections here, so the contractors do anything they want. My flex was simply taped to the collars (This guy did use 181 tape), no clamps, mastic or screws anywhere; I couldn't pull the flex off the collar, had to peel off the tape.

We took the wheels off so all the camera is about 1 inch. Will go in metal duct very easy. flex and long as it is tight. Bigger duct you will have to do a couple of passes to see both sides real good.