Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    You are still ignoring the point that the other member has now agreed that the Sporlan method is the correct way to charge a system, regardless of anything else you want to try.

Charging AC systems to 'beer can cold' worked for a long time.

Was it right?

This isn't my personal method. I have no vested interest in you using this method. Heck, it makes me look all the better when guys DON'T do things the right way.

This what your looking for?

Recievers.pdf

I would think if you charge a system to 80% of the reciever capacity it will be plenty for winter charge, unless you have a really long lineset or unusually small reciever. Surely the manufactures wouldn't use a reciever that wont hold enough refrigerant to charge the system properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 270wsm View Post
    This what your looking for?

Recievers.pdf

I would think if you charge a system to 80% of the reciever capacity it will be plenty for winter charge, unless you have a really long lineset or unusually small reciever. Surely the manufactures wouldn't use a reciever that wont hold enough refrigerant to charge the system properly.
    Still doesn't compensate for what goes in the condenser.

Atoz, JP
    I have always agreed the sporlan method is best. JP is correct that a receiver is nothing more than a place to store refrigerant and it must be able to hold the charge for the whole system. The way I did it worked for my application. Remember I crossed checked with the sporlan method and it came very very close to the way I figured it. Now if you are in a warmer climate then doing it the way I did would probably work on the same system I installed but it would be more refrigerant than the system would need.
    Bring back rotary phones so we dont have to press 1 to proceed in ENGLISH!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Still doesn't compensate for what goes in the condenser.
    I think it would. The reciever doesn't need very much refrigerant in it to make a liquid seal and clear the sight glass. If you charge it to 80-90% full, it should be plenty enough to flood the condenser and still have a clear sight glass. If you charge a system with more than 90% reciever capacity, when the system pumps down the reciever will be 100% full. From my understanding that is dangerous. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just thinking out loud here.

270, jp

Yes 270 that is what I have. Thanks. Jp what is a WAG method???????

I think it would. The reciever doesn't need very much refrigerant in it to make a liquid seal and clear the sight glass. If you charge it to 80-90% full, it should be plenty enough to flood the condenser and still have a clear sight glass. If you charge a system with more than 90% reciever capacity, when the system pumps down the reciever will be 100% full. From my understanding that is dangerous. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just thinking out loud here.
    The operating receiver level will vary with ambient.

In the summer, the receiver will be quite full as the condenser is not flooded with refrigerant. Conversely, in the winter, the receiver will be nearly empty as the condenser floods.

WAG = Wild A$$ Guess

It wasn't made clear that you double checked yourself using the sporlan method in your initial explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The operating receiver level will vary with ambient.

In the summer, the receiver will be quite full as the condenser is not flooded with refrigerant. Conversely, in the winter, the receiver will be nearly empty as the condenser floods.

I agree, but if you charge to 80-90% full in summer, it should be plenty to flood the condenser in the winter and still have enough to keep the glass clear.

The way it was explained to me is the manufactures size the reciever so the system charge never exceeds 90% of the reciever capacity. This already includes condenser flooding charge. That way the only time you could exceed 90% is if you had a very long lineset and the pump down solenoid was at the condenser instead of the evaporator. Regardless, I was told NEVER EVER charge a system to more than 90% reciever capacity. I have yet to come across a system where the condenser could hold more than the reciever.

I agree, but if you charge to 80-90% full in summer, it should be plenty to flood the condenser in the winter and still have enough to keep the glass clear.
    80-90% full plus a clear sightglass in the summertime. OK-ish.

Why not just charge to the Sporlan chart and walk away?

Nothing wrong with Sporlan's method, I have and do use it. But, if your in a hurry because the boss didn't bid enough labor in the job, just 90% and go.

Nothing wrong with Sporlan's method, I have and do use it. But, if your in a hurry because the boss didn't bid enough labor in the job, just 90% and go.
    I always say if there wasnt enough labor then the boss bid it wrong!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hvacr man View Post
    I always say if there wasnt enough labor then the boss bid it wrong!!!!!!!!!!

That was my thought, too.

Also, it takes, what, about 5 minutes MAYBE 10 to run the numbers?

Kind of like saying that a nitrogen purge while brazing takes too much time to set up.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast