Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 116
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,993
    Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    Take a chill pill jpsmith, me and thethomas4 had a few drinks last night and it was pretty unprofessional. I know you have good experience and I respect and learn from your post. It's just the way thomas4 said "turn the bottle over and let it suck refrigerant" sounded funny so I poked some fun at him since we were both hanging out with our "buddy weiser".
    On a more serious side, I have seen a very experienced refrigeration man "turn the bottle over" into the suction side and in a flash 10 lbs liquid straight to compressor. We were out in a week or 2 replacing the reed valves. He's getting old and I think he just screwed up due to his age.
    And yes I am speaking from experience-albeit limited-and I understand the gap between theory and what real experience has to say about it.
    Nothing personal, I just get torqued when people start spouting book smarts over street smarts.

    I've seen one compressor damaged in this fashion and it was an air cooled Copeland. My manifold valve leaked past and I didn't shut the cylinder valve off. It flooded out.

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,495
    I always charge liquid into the suction line and have yet to kill a compressor although I have tried to in a pi$$ed off mood.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,993
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    I always charge liquid into the suction line and have yet to kill a compressor although I have tried to in a pi$$ed off mood.
    3/8" hose to the suction service valve.

    You just weren't trying hard enough...


  4. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    5,495
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    3/8" hose to the suction service valve.

    You just weren't trying hard enough...

    Gee thanks I'll try to remember that.LOL
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

    To apply for professional membership click here


    Educational forums are open.

    If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

  5. #44
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Monmouth Junction-NJ-USA
    Posts
    5,967
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    3/8" hose to the suction service valve.

    You just weren't trying hard enough...

    LMAO That is a GREAT TECH TIP!!!!!!!!!!
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

    Tomorrow is promised to no one...

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    24,993
    Quote Originally Posted by rayr View Post
    LMAO That is a GREAT TECH TIP!!!!!!!!!!
    Always trying to be helpful.

    If you frontseat the valve, the refrigerant will charge faster due to a greater differential in pressure.




    For all the newbies out there, I should post a disclaimer.

    Do not try this at home or on the job. I am a professionally trained idiot.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    11,559

    When you have the gas out -

    Install a schrader access tee under the TXV equalizing line flare nut. Then blow liquid in there with the system running. The evap will boil it off and the low SSH will throttle the TXV.

    You can also pump 90-95% of the charge into the high side with your recycle machine before starting the compressor. Then just top off to 10 degrees subcooling and you're done.

    PHM
    --------




    Quote Originally Posted by AtoZhvac View Post
    Hi,

    I worked with a tech recently who when charging walk in coolers and freezers after compressor change outs. He would cut off the condenser fans for brief periods of time. Both R-22 and 404-A.

    Im just curious at what this was accomplishing and do any of you guys also do this and why? And how is this done properly etc...

    Another thing say you are charging an R22 refrigeration system (large pan cooler) which requires 34 pounds of R-22. I had a heck of a time getting that much charged in. I ran warm water over the container many times to get the pressure back up to charge in the vapor.

    Any tricks out there at speeding this process up? I know that charging liquid is considered a no no and the little liquid charge restrictor device is pretty slow as well.


    Thanks
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southeastern Pa
    Posts
    17,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Install a schrader access tee under the TXV equalizing line flare nut. Then blow liquid in there with the system running. The evap will boil it off and the low SSH will throttle the TXV.

    You can also pump 90-95% of the charge into the high side with your recycle machine before starting the compressor. Then just top off to 10 degrees subcooling and you're done.

    PHM
    --------
    I always enjoy hearing ideas. Thanks, PHM!
    [Avatar photo from a Florida training accident. Everyone walked away.]
    2 Tim 3:16-17

    RSES CMS, HVAC Electrical Specialist

    AOP Forum Rules:







  9. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Always trying to be helpful.

    If you frontseat the valve, the refrigerant will charge faster due to a greater differential in pressure.




    For all the newbies out there, I should post a disclaimer.

    Do not try this at home or on the job. I am a professionally trained idiot.
    LOL I had to quote this one...but it was a good laugh

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    11,559

    Come over and hang out for two weeks

    I promise that you Will hear some ideas! <g>

    PHM
    ---------


    Quote Originally Posted by timebuilder View Post
    I always enjoy hearing ideas. Thanks, PHM!
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    11,347
    Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    I always charge liquid into the suction line and have yet to kill a compressor although I have tried to in a pi$$ed off mood.


    x1000



    .

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    86
    I dont do a lot of refrigeration but on a smaller walk in I will calculate how much liquid the cond coil will hold and then the receiver. I add 80% of what the receiver will hold and what the cond coil will hold. I have done this 3 times and havent had a problem with being short in the winter or overcharged in the summer.
    Bring back rotary phones so we dont have to press 1 to proceed in ENGLISH!!!!

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ATLANTA
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by hvacr man View Post
    I dont do a lot of refrigeration but on a smaller walk in I will calculate how much liquid the cond coil will hold and then the receiver. I add 80% of what the receiver will hold and what the cond coil will hold. I have done this 3 times and havent had a problem with being short in the winter or overcharged in the summer.

    Hi

    Please tell me how you calculate how much refrigerant to put into the condenser and the receiver.

    Something that really bothers me about the Sporlan Head Master charging data is nothing is considered for the evaporator or the line set. Am I wrong that that does not matter when making a proper charge?

    Thanks

    ps please some of you guys lay off of turning this thread into a joke fest!
    I am sincerley trying to learn something important here and I honestly can not tell when some of you are contributing something useful or joking about something.



    Thanks

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event