+ Reply to Thread

Thread: jobs up north?

Post Likes

Exclamation jobs up north?

How are jobs up north for hvac-r techs? I'm south and getting sick of the non stop summer temps. It's october and it's 110 degrees on a roof. Is there a slow season, here winter is pretty dead.

Post Likes
    how far north? commercial or residential

Post Likes
    chicago or north carolina anywhere where there is a season

Post Likes
    well im in virginia and you should be happy you are working..
    WORK HARDER!!!!! millions on welfare depend on you...
    opinions are like bungholes everbody has one...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishvacman View Post
    I'm south and getting sick of the non stop summer temps.
    I tell myself that a couple times a year, but when it does finally cool off and we get those rare days when it drops into the thirties, I'm glad I'm not freezing my arse off in the snow. I know I couldn't handle it especially as I get older, but then the farthest North I've ever lived is around Orlando.
    Low Pressure Forever!

If you know heavy metal, you can work anywhere-Dave Andreson

Anchors Aweigh my boys, Anchors Aweigh!
    Farewell to foreign shores, We sail at break of day. Through our last night on shore, Drink to the foam. Until we meet once more. Here's wishing you a happy voyage home!

Post Likes
    We had snow last Nov 21st. DIdnt stay.... was gone in a couple of hrs. We have mild winters. Heck we had a mild summer. Boss and I were talking.... we dont believe we had more than 1 week of 95+ all summer. Day here... 2 days there.... no more than 7-10 days total! Weird..... (and no Hurricanes .... Yippee!)
    Silent Service........ Death From Below!

Somewhere in Kansas, a town found a village idiot!

Post Likes

Smile

I guess it depends where you what to be and what you are working on , myself could never seem to get use to the extreme cold very hard to work under those conditions can only think of one thing getting warm.
    A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open.

The best part of going to work is coming back home at the end of the day.

Hard work spotlights the character of people: some turn up their sleeves, some turn up their noses, and some don't turn up at all.

Post Likes
    construction has slowed down up here in milwaukee for a lot of the big union guys, seems to be picking up, were looking for a decent commercial service guy, havent found one tho

Post Likes
    we also are looking for a good commercial tech. not sur the job is worth moving your fam though.

Post Likes
    I think we were the first to get snow this year, (Bend Oregon) snowed about 4 inches on 10/04/09. As far as jobs go. I think everywhere is tough. I looked at Monster.com for the heck of it and saw quite a few jobs that paid well though.
    We are mainly heating. And yes 80* is hot to us so we do have A/C's. I had my slowest summer in 6 yrs on my own this year. Winter is looking alot better though. If you go north just remember the wind makes cold - colder. I will never forget how cold the Great Lakes area is in winter and that was 32 years ago. You can always put on more clothes to stay warm, try taking more off to cool down and see what happens. lol
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Post Likes
    I'm in north NJ and there is a drastic season change. Alot of people are out of work though, the Local is saying there hasn't been this many guys out since Reagan. Probably around 100 service techs out of 1600 statewide are riding pine right now. It has gotten a little better in the past few months but nothing great

Post Likes
    u mean Carter? maybe save that for ARP

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes

Snowing Up There!

When we went thru northern Iowa down past Des Moines last Saturday it was snowing up there. Since then it seems like Minneapolis and north have had the same. Seems like that would mean an early start of the furnace calls in that area. I'm in NW Arkansas and I called my contractor ASAP to get him to wire up the new DFHP for heat! Seems like there are some Wisconsin and Michigan pros on this forum that might be prospects.

Post Likes
    chicago or north carolina anywhere where there is a season

Since when is N.C. considered up north? Same deal here hot humid summers. Winter is cold but not near as busy as the summer months. Your never gonna find a perfect climate if you do you'll be out of a job.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Post Likes
    If you want to stay a wus, stay down there. If you want to walk off a roof at 3am having saved the world, in 20 below weather, snowing, and be a REAL MAN, then yeagh it's better.

Post Likes
    How are jobs up north for hvac-r techs? I'm south and getting sick of the non stop summer temps. It's october and it's 110 degrees on a roof. Is there a slow season, here winter is pretty dead.
    Funny how when it's 110 out we want summer to end. Then when it gets -10 out we want summer to get here quickly. And if it's mild out we're still b#$%ing cause theres no work.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes

Chicago Is Cold

Good luck on your job search, but just so you know, Chicago is a bit chilly.
    The Chicago roofing contractor business is an interesting one. I wish you the best of luck!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in