Thread: Carbon Monoxide

Carbon Monoxide

Lots of guys don't even check CO levels.
    Some guys say an ambient CO detector is fine to just check around the unit. And then others say you absolutely need a combustion analyzer.

For just clean and checks or a quick check on a service call is a combustion analyzer really necessary?Or would an ambient check be sufficient?
    I'm pretty sure I know what most will say but I'm just looking for some opinions on this.

I just check the unit, the flame and flu and take ambient co readings.
    If something is wrong in the furnace I can tell from that.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me! ©

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

You should always check combustion and effieciency readings on any fossil fuel appliance you have, ESPECIALLY oil fired equipment if you are doing a clean and check. Cover your ass is the motto here.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!

I guess I would agree with Dice.
    If it isn't in the living space, why should we care what goes up the flue?
    Those who dance, appear insane to those who do not hear the music.
    Those who believe, appear ignorant to those who do not know God.

I only have a CO detector for ambient and flue. I want to get the Testo combustion kit, but don't have the $ to invest right now. It would be nice to have to fine tune stuff, and to use as a sales tool for replacements. But it will just have to wait for another year unless things pick up a bunch.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

I got a combustion analyzer this year. I fixed a bunch of gas furnaces before I got it. I'm just learning to use it, but I like it.
    Jason

I was excited about getting a combustion analyzer, but the price took the wind out... I also will have to wait on that tool. Being in Texas, I am going to invest in a set of DigiCools and a nice vacuum set-up first.

every oil/ gas furnace call we go on maint. or no heat we have to take co reading's and document all #s very important for you, company and home owner. i strongly suguest buying one a.s.a.p could save a life.

You do not know how many times we have been saved by producing combustion test readings as well as a smoke test on a piece of equipment which seems to go haywire and a customer takes you to court for soot or some other home damage. Providing a copy on your work report as well as to the customer and getting them to sign off on it will save you a headache later on.

Oh yeah, and just checking the flame on an oil burner doesn't mean you don't have any smoke on it, even if it looks clear. That's why you should use a smoke tester and combustion kit. It soots up and ruins a house and all you have is "I checked the flame and ambient CO" with nothing to back that up and you have effectively bought a house.
    Not as lean, not as mean, but I'm still a hardcore, ass-kicking, hard charging Marine! Oohrah!