Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Why / how can they be so much lower?
    This is what Holland says:

A note about Stainless Steel: You might notice in your research that our stainless grill uses 13,000 btu's and the aluminum grills are set for over 19,000 btu. For an explanation of this, we sought out the advice of our crack service department technical advisors. Here's what they say: "BTU rating are simply a calculation based primarily on gas pressure & orifice size, or the amount & type of gas burning per hour. (heat output per hour). Since stainless steel retains heat better than the other grill materials, it requires less gas to heat SS grills to the same temperature, therefore SS grills are intentionally designed with a slightly smaller orifice in the gas valve than black grills. You could say that SS grills get better "gas mileage" than black grills. All full sized Holland grills, no matter which material, are designed to heat to the SAME temperature. It is TEMPERATURE that cooks your food, not BTU's."

I like my VermontCasting
    If you help others then you are a Success

This is an HVAC forum - doesn't the "no pricing" rule end at the limits of HVAC installation and sevice?

PHM
    ---------
    I would think so. But some folks just believe that "Rules is rules !!"

Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    I like my VermontCasting
    Talking with some others around here, I decided to get a Vermont Casting grille 2 years ago. I really like mine. The only draw backs are the rotisserie is a little cheesey.

Also, I bought some all purpose de-greaser in a spray bottle by ZEP. Stuff really works good: only thing is that it took all the numbers and writing off the front of the control panel of the Vermont Casting grille.

From their site

A note about Stainless Steel: You might notice in your research that our stainless grill uses 13,000 btu's and the aluminum grills are set for over 19,000 btu. For an explanation of this, we sought out the advice of our crack service department technical advisors. Here's what they say: "BTU rating are simply a calculation based primarily on gas pressure & orifice size, or the amount & type of gas burning per hour. (heat output per hour). Since stainless steel retains heat better than the other grill materials, it requires less gas to heat SS grills to the same temperature, therefore SS grills are intentionally designed with a slightly smaller orifice in the gas valve than black grills. You could say that SS grills get better "gas mileage" than black grills. All full sized Holland grills, no matter which material, are designed to heat to the SAME temperature. It is TEMPERATURE that cooks your food, not BTU's." Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks Dan!

That being said, I like the box for wood chips, but I'm a loyal Weber user.

Quote Originally Posted by fcs View Post
    I like my VermontCasting
    I also like my VC and got sold on it since my brother in law had one. I would have liked to get a Weber but the VC 5 burner was on sale. I don't however like the grills since they seem hard to clean so I bought some 304 stainless 1/4" rod and welded my own. Turned out so well my brother in law asked that I make him some also.

I was totally F'ed by Charbroil with their stainless steel crap. They suck as a company and their customer service is zero. Bunch of scamming lowlifes.

Anyway - I have been thinking about a BroilMaster. Anybody have one? And if so; tell me what you think.

Or; does anybody have any alternate suggestions?
    (This might be a re-post, first one didn't seem to go through)

Hey PHM,

Have you found your new grill yet? If you havn't, I am going to suggest that you listen to Gasser65. I found a Holland grill on a "free" website that we have here in the Twin Cities. An older couple had it, and wanted to get rid of it because the igniter was broken, and it REALLY needed a cleaning. Spent $25.00 on a new igniter, and spent an afternoon cleaning it, and I can tell you, THIS is the last grill I will ever own.

Cooked up a couple of steaks the first night I had it, and the wife said they taste just like steaks you get at a resturant.

Tonight I put it to the test. I put a whole cut-up chicken on it, skin and all, let it cook for 25 minutes, flipped the pieces, let it cook 25 minutes more, and it was the best damn chicken I have ever had.

Never flared up, cooked to a nice crispy texture, and had a great taste. Plus these things can smoke and steam food.

They are kind of pricey new, but check your local craigslist website. They can be picked up pretty cheap, used.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

And not to mention it took care of this posting from August...

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=361372

To convert to N/G, all you do is change the spud, and you are good to go.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

I did consider a Holland

It wasn't the price that shied me away the most, in the end it was the heat numbers. Maybe stupid, but I am what it is. <g>

In the end I bought two Broilmaster (couldn't make up my mind <g>) grills. A P3SPC2 and a stainless 2501.

BTW: I do have to take strong exception to your statement: "they taste just like steaks you get at a restaurant" because if my steaks tasted like anything I get in a restaurant I would give up it all up as a bad job. <g>

The only almost-great steak that I have ever gotten was in a Ruth's Chris in PR - the one right near The El San Juan hotel. And it was a fluke - two nights later the steaks were completely ordinary.

You may want to call me too particular, but the steaks at the Capital Grille in Philadelphia, for just one example, are not even good, let alone great.

Without even the slightest hyperbole, the steaks here at my house are consistently, far and away, the very best I've ever had anywhere and I've eaten them all over the world.

And, high credit where it's due, I do not make the the truly great ones. The little woman is a magical food genius. Some fine reataurants can get into her league in general - but not with a steak.

Another thing which tipped me over to Broilmaster was the diamond shaped grate bars. A great steak has to also look like a great steak - with perfect cross-hatch. And the grates that, for example; Webers have - can't do it well enough. I want a grate that works like a good branding iron.

Ahhhhh . . . . now you've got me wondering what Sunday Dinner is going to be. <g>

But no more of that - I've got to get up on the roof and do some more piping.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by markco View Post
    (This might be a re-post, first one didn't seem to go through)

Hey PHM,

Have you found your new grill yet? If you havn't, I am going to suggest that you listen to Gasser65. I found a Holland grill on a "free" website that we have here in the Twin Cities. An older couple had it, and wanted to get rid of it because the igniter was broken, and it REALLY needed a cleaning. Spent $25.00 on a new igniter, and spent an afternoon cleaning it, and I can tell you, THIS is the last grill I will ever own.

Cooked up a couple of steaks the first night I had it, and the wife said they taste just like steaks you get at a resturant.

Tonight I put it to the test. I put a whole cut-up chicken on it, skin and all, let it cook for 25 minutes, flipped the pieces, let it cook 25 minutes more, and it was the best damn chicken I have ever had.

Never flared up, cooked to a nice crispy texture, and had a great taste. Plus these things can smoke and steam food.

They are kind of pricey new, but check your local craigslist website. They can be picked up pretty cheap, used.
    PHM
    --------
    The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking.

Ok so Char Broil is crap? I just bought a brand new one m/n 463460710 for $170 at a Sears Outlet store to replace my 20 year old Sunbeam. I thought it was a good deal for a normally $300 grill. Started poking around on the net and found out they rust out early in their life. I did not open the box yet guess it will be going back.

Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tPhaseMe View Post
    Ok so Char Broil is crap? I just bought a brand new one m/n 463460710 for $170 at a Sears Outlet store to replace my 20 year old Sunbeam. I thought it was a good deal for a normally $300 grill. Started poking around on the net and found out they rust out early in their life. I did not open the box yet guess it will be going back.
    There again if you don't BBQ a lot then you might be better off with a Char Broil.

My Char Broil would last about 4 years. Then I'd buy the replacement parts and it was good for 3 more years. Then it went in the dump.

This VT. Castings I have should last 20 years but It did cost $1300. I use mine all winter and 3 or 4 time a week in the summer.

Any BBQ made by OMC Multi-corp is a quality unit. Sterling, Broilmate, Broilking..

Thanks for the info. I may use it a few times a month but I don't want to waste money on something that is not going to hold up. The Broilkings look nice they are made well and are reasonably priced too.

I have a natural gas Broilmate and can say it's a great value bbq. You cannot compare it to the higher end units such as webber, but it heats fairly evenly (better than other cheap bbq's I have used), has a good warranty on the burner (5 years I think) and lifetime on the case (I think), and great customer service... The plastic handle on mine broke in the first year after a wind storm. I called them up and they shipped a new part to me.

my brother in law was able to get his hands on a used webber (one of their lower end units) for free... it was a condo building's unit for residence use and was used multiple times per day for over 5 years (I can't remember the exact age). He needed to clean it really well as it wasn't cared for, needed new knobs as they were broken/missing, and got a new burner for free under warranty. The thing heats up much quicker than my broilmate and to a higher temperature for searing steaks and never flares up. Pricey when new, but it looks like you get a much longer lifetime so it probably pays itself off in the end. And it's nicer to use.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast