+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who makes the best gas grille ?

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    I try to stay as far away from myself as I can.
    Post Likes

I did consider a Holland

It wasn't the price that shied me away the most, in the end it was the heat numbers. Maybe stupid, but I am what it is. <g>

In the end I bought two Broilmaster (couldn't make up my mind <g>) grills. A P3SPC2 and a stainless 2501.

BTW: I do have to take strong exception to your statement: "they taste just like steaks you get at a restaurant" because if my steaks tasted like anything I get in a restaurant I would give up it all up as a bad job. <g>

The only almost-great steak that I have ever gotten was in a Ruth's Chris in PR - the one right near The El San Juan hotel. And it was a fluke - two nights later the steaks were completely ordinary.

You may want to call me too particular, but the steaks at the Capital Grille in Philadelphia, for just one example, are not even good, let alone great.

Without even the slightest hyperbole, the steaks here at my house are consistently, far and away, the very best I've ever had anywhere and I've eaten them all over the world.

And, high credit where it's due, I do not make the the truly great ones. The little woman is a magical food genius. Some fine reataurants can get into her league in general - but not with a steak.

Another thing which tipped me over to Broilmaster was the diamond shaped grate bars. A great steak has to also look like a great steak - with perfect cross-hatch. And the grates that, for example; Webers have - can't do it well enough. I want a grate that works like a good branding iron.

Ahhhhh . . . . now you've got me wondering what Sunday Dinner is going to be. <g>

But no more of that - I've got to get up on the roof and do some more piping.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by markco View Post
    (This might be a re-post, first one didn't seem to go through)

Hey PHM,

Have you found your new grill yet? If you havn't, I am going to suggest that you listen to Gasser65. I found a Holland grill on a "free" website that we have here in the Twin Cities. An older couple had it, and wanted to get rid of it because the igniter was broken, and it REALLY needed a cleaning. Spent $25.00 on a new igniter, and spent an afternoon cleaning it, and I can tell you, THIS is the last grill I will ever own.

Cooked up a couple of steaks the first night I had it, and the wife said they taste just like steaks you get at a resturant.

Tonight I put it to the test. I put a whole cut-up chicken on it, skin and all, let it cook for 25 minutes, flipped the pieces, let it cook 25 minutes more, and it was the best damn chicken I have ever had.

Never flared up, cooked to a nice crispy texture, and had a great taste. Plus these things can smoke and steam food.

They are kind of pricey new, but check your local craigslist website. They can be picked up pretty cheap, used.
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    Ok so Char Broil is crap? I just bought a brand new one m/n 463460710 for $170 at a Sears Outlet store to replace my 20 year old Sunbeam. I thought it was a good deal for a normally $300 grill. Started poking around on the net and found out they rust out early in their life. I did not open the box yet guess it will be going back.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doesn'tPhaseMe View Post
    Ok so Char Broil is crap? I just bought a brand new one m/n 463460710 for $170 at a Sears Outlet store to replace my 20 year old Sunbeam. I thought it was a good deal for a normally $300 grill. Started poking around on the net and found out they rust out early in their life. I did not open the box yet guess it will be going back.
    There again if you don't BBQ a lot then you might be better off with a Char Broil.

My Char Broil would last about 4 years. Then I'd buy the replacement parts and it was good for 3 more years. Then it went in the dump.

This VT. Castings I have should last 20 years but It did cost $1300. I use mine all winter and 3 or 4 time a week in the summer.

Post Likes
    Any BBQ made by OMC Multi-corp is a quality unit. Sterling, Broilmate, Broilking..

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info. I may use it a few times a month but I don't want to waste money on something that is not going to hold up. The Broilkings look nice they are made well and are reasonably priced too.

Post Likes
    I have a natural gas Broilmate and can say it's a great value bbq. You cannot compare it to the higher end units such as webber, but it heats fairly evenly (better than other cheap bbq's I have used), has a good warranty on the burner (5 years I think) and lifetime on the case (I think), and great customer service... The plastic handle on mine broke in the first year after a wind storm. I called them up and they shipped a new part to me.

my brother in law was able to get his hands on a used webber (one of their lower end units) for free... it was a condo building's unit for residence use and was used multiple times per day for over 5 years (I can't remember the exact age). He needed to clean it really well as it wasn't cared for, needed new knobs as they were broken/missing, and got a new burner for free under warranty. The thing heats up much quicker than my broilmate and to a higher temperature for searing steaks and never flares up. Pricey when new, but it looks like you get a much longer lifetime so it probably pays itself off in the end. And it's nicer to use.

Post Likes
    Breakdown and get a traeiger !

Poodle Head Mikey is offline Membership Chair/ARP Committee / Professional Member*
    Post Likes

Yeah right -

Like I am ever going to consider lighting pellets. <g>

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by Little NATE View Post
    Breakdown and get a traeiger !
    PHM
    --------

When faced with the choice between changing one's mind, and proving that there is no need to do so, most tend to get busy on the proof.

Post Likes
    I am looking for the "Goodman" of gas grills.

What's the best bang for the buck?

Thanx.

Post Likes

Talking

Ducane,owned by Weber,made in China.I went to the local Ace Hardware,they had a bunch of $$$$ grilles on display,went on-line to check on Ducanes.Found a $$$ model.Great electronic ignition,3 burners,side burner,rotisserrie,N.G.,stainless panels,assembled,delivered....$375.00 have had it three years,would reccommend it to anyone.
    Ethics are as important as education.

Post Likes

Talking

By the way,I ordered it at Ace,they assembled and delivered for free.
    Ethics are as important as education.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    I am looking for the "Goodman" of gas grills.

What's the best bang for the buck?

Thanx.
    Brinkmann from Home Depot

GrillMaster from Lowes

Both are pretty cheap

I found a Weber sitting beside the metal dumpster at the dump, it just happened to fall over onto my trailer lol

a good cleaning, $70 worth of new grates and flavorizer bars from ebay, its like new.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post

damn Maple trees

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    Brinkmann from Home Depot

GrillMaster from Lowes

Both are pretty cheap
    I did indeed buy a Brinkmann from HD.

It's a mix of stainless steel and painted carbon steel.

I like the features:
    4 burners, plus a side burner, plus a rotisserie burner (I have to get the rotisserie motor and shaft).

I thought the $199 price tag was a mistake because there were other Brinkmanns with less features for $299.

Hopefully, I'll get at least 5 years out of it.

Here's a pic: http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Gr...atalogId=10053

Take care.

Post Likes
    If your serious about grilling, check out Lynx's grills.

http://www.lynxgrills.com/

Post Likes

Doood; it's all about the quadrilage

And nothing does it better than BroilMaster's cast stainless steel diamond grates.
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle Head Mikey View Post
    Like I am ever going to consider lighting pellets. <g>

PHM
    --------
    You dont have to light has ignitor if you ever cook with one youll never cosider gas again !

Post Likes

Yeah sure - they told me that about black girls too -

But this end-all little woman of mine is blond and about as white as a sheet.

I went to natural gas for the grilles. Piped it to three spots outside. Turn the knob, hit the ignitor, no worries.

No clean up and I never run out.

We'll cook on whatever you like at your house - here it's natural gas. <g>

PHM
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Little NATE View Post
    You dont have to light has ignitor if you ever cook with one youll never cosider gas again !
    PHM
    --------

Post Likes
    maybe this is a stupid question: Did the manufacturer sell you a conversion kit or did PHM improvise????

Post Likes

No; Broilmaster is wonderful to deal with

You just call and then pick and choose your options. They assemble what you want and ship it over.

PHM
    --------

Quote Originally Posted by evankoehn View Post
    maybe this is a stupid question: Did the manufacturer sell you a conversion kit or did PHM improvise????
    PHM
    --------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in