Pipe Flushing v. Pipe Replacement (R22 v. R410a)

Our current heat pump uses R22 and we'll be switching to R410a. As we all know, everyone seems to have a different opinion. I've been told that flushing the pipes will be fine and I've also been told that new pipes should be installed because oils can get into the new heat pump (that will use 410a) from the R22 and destroy the new heat pump. Is there any truth in this? Our pipes are in the walls so it will be rather difficult to pull them out and install brand new pipes. What is the truth on this issue?

new pipes can be ran exterior to the house and use a line cover. my first concern is do you have the right sized pipes for the new system? flushing works well if they know what they are doing. I would personally consider using new piping.

What equipment will you be installing? Find out if your warranty will be upheld if you flush. Most will honor the warranty with a flush.
    It's refreshing to pull your head out of the box when servicing a system.

Thumbs up change the piping

Change the piping! Other than the oils not being compatable, also take in to account the age of the piping. You probably think that the new piping on the exterior of the wall is going to lessen the value of your home or be ugly? Once the piping is covered with a line cover & painted to match the home's exterior color, forget about it! This is a very common thing. If you are really going to change both pieces of equipment, don't be miserly at this point - do it right!

Well, I have been exposed to r410a since about year 2000 working for a carrier dealer. Both Trane and Carrier have stated in classes that I have personally sat in on that pipe replacement is not necessary as long as the sizing is correct. Carrier guy even said flushing is not always necessary. I flush my lines, but I dont see a problem at all with using the old piping. Have done it for years without problem.

Changing of line set is not required. As long as they are the correct size, and leak free.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

As long as the old line set meets the size requirements there is no need to change them.

Why change? Do you suspect a leak will form? You can't get r-22? Are you not certified to buy R-22? I personally do not care for the higher pressures. My 2 cents.
    RB

It boils down to several things.

Are the lines correct size for the new system. If not, new line-set.
    Are there any oil traps? If so remove them.
    What happened to the old system? Burn out or otherwise contaminated? Change the line sets. If it was running fine and there are no oil traps and the line-set is the correct size. It's not necessary.