Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help me out please?

Ok, here is the deal. My father and I have a restaurant equipment company. We spend thousands of dollars in repair on refrigeration and I am intersted in getting my HVAC certifiction. What schools in Missouri can anyone point me towards. I can not find one, just help me out please!

The unfortunate thing is this trade is somewhat like learning piano, 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration. What I mean is while school can give you the physics most of what is in the field is by osmosis. In other words sucking up the brains of the guys that have earned their stripes. I wish I had that opportunity as the other ways are just tough.
    I mention this because this stuff can hurt you.
    Like other apprenticeships it's the journeyman that is the teacher.
    Of course if on the other hand you are extremely motivated who knows.
    In the beginning the local library was my best friend.

Oh ya...Sorry but I don't live in MO. You might try Mrs Reb.. She's lurking here somewhere.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Forget it, it won't work, it has to be in your blood, not just to save money.
    Hey cockroach, don't bug me!

www.AskTheDiceman.com

www.TheColdConspiracy.com

www.Pennwood-HVAC.Com

Bring Em Home....

Quote Originally Posted by Diceman View Post
    Forget it, it won't work, it has to be in your blood, not just to save money.
    That's a point I missed.
    "What Fools these mortals be"....Puck

Quote Originally Posted by kindle View Post
    Ok, here is the deal. My father and I have a restaurant equipment company. We spend thousands of dollars in repair on refrigeration and I am intersted in getting my HVAC certifiction. What schools in Missouri can anyone point me towards. I can not find one, just help me out please!
    i am going to say you and your father have a bigger problem. You 2 own a restaurant equipment company and neither one of you knows how to repair the equipment
    seems like you 2 are in the wrong business. Thats like running a daycare and not liking kids. Running an race and not knowing how to run. Drinking Coffee with out the cup.

kindle,
    Don't take this the wrong way but what you're saying is almost the same as saying...

"We own a Car Dealership and we spend thousands on auto repair, I want to lean to be an Automtive technician to save money."

It is sort of like taking Drivers Education and then expecting to be a race car driver. I almost never works out !

Do what you do and sell equipment. Use qualified repair/service people and simply chalk it up to the cost doing business.

Most people hate to love or love to hate this profession but people that get into to it simply to save money seldom end up being top notch techs.

Sorry but thats my 2 cents worth.

Good luck on your quest for knowledge.
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !

All opinions expressed are my own. Any advice provided is based on personal experience, generally accepted fact or publicly available information. As such, it is worth exactly what you paid for it, not a penny more not a penny less !!

You can't find one? Well first off if you are trully interested in getting your hands dirty try a community college. That's the cheap route.
    If you want to shell out some $$$ checkout Vatterott or Ranken in St. Louis. those programs will take you 60 weeks.
    But I don't know what side of the state you are on.
    Don't know what brand you are selling, but have you thought about checking out the Taylor factory or Hobart or any other MFR of the equipment you sell? They'll have classes. But you will need to be mechanically inclined.
    Discipline your child so that other parents don't have to.

We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Make my self clear!

We know how to fix equipment, I was just wondering how to become certified to do refrigeration work, because we get a ton of calls and have to send them out to other guys. We know about refrigeration and can fix it, just dont want to get caught doing something wrong out in the field and get fined. Need to be able to buy freons and stuff. We are already certified by many cooking equipment manufactuers.

i have been in your busuness in the past & the margins on equipment vs the failures are pretty good. just remember that everybody has to eat.
    get a good working relationship with a refg. co. & let them have the work.
    that way when you are getting a piece of equipment operating in the shop they will be more willing to give you advice on a piece of problem
    equipment to get it up & running so you can sell it & make your profit
    & they can fix it in the field. after school you may have to jump thru a few hoops in order to get your state lic. in order to be able to work in the field anyway.

GOOD MARGINS! HA!

Yeah there are good margins in the used stuff, if anyone was buying anything instead of fixing it. Please just someone tell me where to go to school in Missouri. Thanks

Yeah there are good margins in the used stuff, if anyone was buying anything instead of fixing it. Please just someone tell me where to go to school in Missouri. Thanks
    I think chaard tried to. Re-read his last post.

We know how to fix equipment, I was just wondering how to become certified to do refrigeration work, because we get a ton of calls and have to send them out to other guys. We know about refrigeration and can fix it, just dont want to get caught doing something wrong out in the field and get fined. Need to be able to buy freons and stuff. We are already certified by many cooking equipment manufactuers.

hey let me know where I can by freons. I be needin to get me some freons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast