Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floridian Folly

Thumbs down

While I was down attending the MSCA conference on Amelia Island Plantation Oct. 18th-23rd just outside Jacksonville, FL, I noticed this disgrace on the backside of the Conference Center. I thought it was worthy of the Wall of Shame.

Here is the "fresh air exchange." Notice the filter right behind the RA which is falling out of the makeshift wall. The cable that goes in the hole on the right side there is the thermostat wire.

Backside of the unit. I like the tape filling the hole for the t-stat wire.

[Edited by Boss on 12-29-2003 at 01:18 PM]
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle

That is typical of resort properties and looks like in-house work.

That is a class install. Amazing, and a Goodman unit to boot. Robin, they are going to need a comp. only a matter of time.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

It should be a law that you can sell flex duct only to licensed contractors.

A couple of boxes of flex duct and you can be in the air conditioning business.

What kind of mickey mouse bull&*%$ is that. Call the inspection office, I'm sure they pulled a permit. Thats rediculious. I would be pissed if I owned Goodman. That compressor will be toast shortly................

Dice did you do that.......................

BUT...I'll just bet you the owner went with the lowest bid cause he had to accept that. Shame on the installer but I'll bet the installer only did what he was paid to do with full knowledge from owner cause you sure can't hide this install.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Delta is right!

Some of you are reading too much into this. Like he said it is not residential. True it is a pile of $hit, but resorts and motels can do things like this and get away with it. It is probably temporary and was put there as a emergency because of booking the conference room, then making a better fix later..

That place is 40 miles from me and if you lose your air, you do what ever you have to to get it back up and sometimes that is with a carppenter/electrician/painter/hvacguy/plumber that makes $8.50 a hour. Based on that hypothesis, they did perdy good and got what they paid for and probably did not get sued by a group of old retired AARP people from New Jersey that rented the area.

I got a call from Ramada one time to do the plywood thing for their laundry room. The big chiller was down and people refused to come to work. Paid me for 2 5 ton package units that they used for 3 months and then told me to remove them and I could have them for doing it. Cha Ching $$

compressor end of unit setting on ground. nice job sealing flex to unit. note square to round adaptors held in place with duct tape. this MUST be some kind of emergency-temporary stop gap. I hope!!!
    We've been doing so much,for so long,with so little, that now we can do almost anything, with nothing at all.

Talking

Installations by Wylie Coyote

James are you near Brunswick. I went to college with a guy from that area, his family owned about 100,000 acres. They lived off of Pine trees.

Yep.

Pine trees are hard to digest.

What was his name?

Is that a ....

Is that a P-trap ? Isn't one side supposed to end up lower than the other ?

If it matters to anybody, the building has a central chiller plant in it. I have no idea if chilled water lines go to the area this unit serves or not, but even if they didn't you would think they would have a split system to serve that area and set a condenser outside that looked a little better than that.

Temporary or permanent, I couldn't resist taking the pics!
    "We are what we repeatedly do.
    Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
    -Aristotle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast