+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How does humidity affect vapor pressure of other chemicals?

Post Likes

Question How does humidity affect vapor pressure of other chemicals?

How does humidity (water vapor pressure) affect the vapor pressure of other chemicals? I'm wondering in particular about evaporation of hydrophobic/immiscible solvents. E.g., does relative humidity affect the evaporation rate of octanol, or the upper limit of octanol that can be held in air (holding temp and pressure constant)?

Is there a general theory of how vapor pressures of different chemicals interact? Any pointers would be appreciated!

Post Likes
    Dalton's Law of partial pressures discribes how each gas behaves as if it occupied the space alone. The total pressure is the sum of the partial pressures.
    Maybe a study of this law would find an answer.
    We are here on Earth to fart around ......Kurt Vonnegut

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

USAF 98 Bomb Wing 1960-66 SMW Lu49

Post Likes
    Well, following some research I should say that this is not trivial chemistry! However based on what I can tell miscibility has little if any relationship to vapor pressure equilibria in mixed gas systems.

Should anyone else come cross this question in the future: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapor-liquid_equilibrium seems to have pointers to all the relevant theory....

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in