Hybrid View

Question Home additions and zone valves

I recently purchased a home with a CNG hot water boiler system. The house has had, on two separate occasions, two additions built which added a second living room and a master bedroom with bath. There are two thermostats, one in the center of the original house and one in the new master bedroom.
    When I moved in the heat in the master bedroom didn't work because of a faulty zone valve actuator. While replacing the actuator I noticed something that didn't make sense to me, but hopefully someone can explain it. Coming off of the boiler (heated side) there is a single tube which branches into three tubes. Of those three tubes, two of them have zone valves. All three continue on out of the room and I'm unable to see where they lead to. My question is, what is the third tube (the one without the zone valve) for?

Can you post pics of the set up.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Dump zone that's heated when either of the two other zones call for heat. Propably a basement area. Turn up the boiler on one zone, go check all of the convectors, note which ones are hot. Turn down that stat, wait for the system to cool, turn up the other stat, check all of the convectors, see which ones are hot, the common hot ones are the dump zone.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

That makes sense. Is it possible to add a zone valve and thermostat to this dump zone? Several areas in the house which appear to be within this dump zone are overheating when the heat kicks on in the master bedroom.

Most likely possible. Contact a local hydronics contractor and I'm sure they will steer you in the right direction.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM