Thread: Lennox XP14

Lennox XP14

Good morning my friends

My 2008 Lennox XP14-036 heat pump never worked well...
    The first year I kept calling my contractor...
    The compressor failed after 9 months of use...
    I found myself,finally, that the lowpressure switch was defective (it was turning off constantly the compressor
    They replaced the compressor,the low pressure switch as well as the 2 expansion valves and dryer....

Now as the automn arrived I start using the heat pump (I did not use it in the summer,afraid that it broke again!!!
    It worked not bad for few days and now it just blow cold air.....
    I checked the indoor filter and blower..OK as well as the outside blower..
    Could it be that the system loose is R410 fluid
    How can I test for a R410A leak
    At these so high working pressure are there special requirements when welding the gaz circuitry
    Thanks in advance for your help and advices

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    You don't braze the pipe with the gas still in the system, it could cause you harm.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.

Call your contractor back. It should still be under warranty, if its a related issue.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

First thing, call the company that installed it and give them ONE MORE chance to get it right. On second thought, if that thing went through a compressor in 9 months, contact the area rep for Lennox and have him bring out the factory tech. Allow them to bring the original company, because they might learn something valuable. Don't settle for an answer that you don't understand - ask the factory guys to explain it to you.

Unfortunately, we cannot give you any DIY advice. It's against the rules here, and against good common sense due to the regulations associated with the trade and the possible danger that could occur from you working on the heat pump. I understand that you want this thing to work, and that you think you can do it yourself, but unless you have the tools, training, and REQUIRED licences, well you are just asking for more problems. Besides, if you touch the thing, it could void your warranty. There is a finite number of things that can take out a compressor in that short of time (I know where I would start), so any good experienced tech should be able to determine what's wrong.

Good luck......
    Last edited by Au-en-boy; 10-04-2009 at 07:42 PM. Reason: my wonderful keyboarding skills - spelling
    The Lord must love stupid people or he wouldn't have made so many.

Why is it that when I am in a hurry, everyone else on the road goes 15 MPH under the speed limit?

I did few more checking ,reading the DT between inlet and outlet temperature duct....
    Strangely on AC mode I get like 20 degree F less at outlet than inlet (which seems normal operation),but on heating mode the Dt is 66F inlet and 71F outlet.....so I would thing at a bad outdoor expansion valve!
    What is more strange is if I turn the main power off then back on AC mode for few minutes and heating again I can see the outlet temperature duct rising at around 20 degree F more than the inlet (which is OK)!!!! All these tests were made at 58F outside !!!!
    So,I can't see what the electrical part of the system or electronic board has to do with this problem (in all cases my inlet and outdoor fans are working and the compressor is turning.......
    Could it be a too low R410 charge in the system or a sticky or defective outdoor expansion valve
    I noticed also that the outside capillar bulb from the expansion valve ,was well attached against the right tubing but was not isolated at all........is that ok
    Waiting for the good advices of the experts..I thank you a lot

John Culpepper is offline CHANGE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS Professional Member*
    It could be under charged or an intermittant problem with your SOV. Get a tech out to verify.
    Nemo me impune lacessit.

How much blood do I have to bathe in to get clean?

Don't look down on anyone unless you're helping them up.