Homeowner seeks advice (humidity) new HVAC system

Hi all, I live in Charleston SC and my HVAC package system finally bite the dust after 20 years.
    I had 4 contractors come out for quotes, and all were in the same ballpark with 2 systems: a Carrier Performance or Trane XL14C, both are 2 1/2 ton 14 Seer, and a 10 year parts and labor is an additional $
    Previous system was also a 2 1/2 ton and cooled and heated the house quite well. From what I can tell both the Carrier and Trane are good systems, and I don't think I could go wrong with either one. The Trane is around 10% more.

The question I have is on the blowers for each.
    When reading the the Carrier brochure, the blower lists "an energy saving blower", but doesn't mention humidity.
    The Trane brochure lists "Variable speed blower with Comfort-R to provide greater humidiy control during cooling.
    Humidity is bad here in Charleston, so if all else is equal, is one blower better than the other in the high humidity here in Charleston? Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 10-03-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Removed price

Post model number of the Carrier.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The Carrier package model is 50VTA30 and the Trane Model is 4WCY4030

ken

these are package heat pump systems-correct?

for superior dehumidification, I like the Trane because of the VS blower. and if you use the Honeywell VP IAQ stat, you get the "dehumidify on demand" feature which I recommend for Charleston climate/humidity.

I believe both qualify for the tax credit.

IMO
    Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tigerdunes View Post
    ken

these are package heat pump systems-correct?

for superior dehumidification, I like the Trane because of the VS blower. and if you use the Honeywell VP IAQ stat, you get the "dehumidify on demand" feature which I recommend for Charleston climate/humidity.
    !
    In your climate, you have many days of low/no cooling load and high humidity. All of the major mfgrs. have varibile speed fans to better match fan speed for max moisture removal. None are able to dehumidify without over-cooling your home. If you want real dehumidification to a desire %RH, get a whole house dehumidifier. Set you a/c up for the most moisture removal and the desired temp. Set the dehu for the desired %RH. With the whole house dehu you get the %RH without any cooling load. This is much more comfortable and energy efficient. I work for Ultra-Aire whole house dehumidifier and there are many others. Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"