Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

who would you rather hire?

Ok, totally hypothetical question here but I am curious what most people would pick. If you could hire one of, and only one of these two guys who would it be. The guy who had hair like Troy Polamalu's and has no tattoos, or the guy with the nice haircut but has full tattoo sleeves...........I have attached photos for your viewing pleasure.

Basically what I am after is what would be more of a turn off to an employer, the hair or the tattoos? You have to treat them both the same, thus to say since the tattoos are permanent, then you cannot just tell the guy with the long hair to go get a haircut.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Didn't we cover this topic a few weeks ago? It didn't bring out the best in people, as I remember it.

I'm not tolerating Political Correctness anymore, from now on it's tell it like it is.

Veto Pro Pak - The best tool bag you'll ever own

oh c'mon its all in fun, I was just curious. For those insecure people who have to make a big deal out of a hypothetical question, they are just silly and over-dramatic.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas-Tech View Post
    no one forces anyone to reply to these posts, if you feel it is worthless move on, it won't hurt my feelings.

I pick the dude with the long hair. If he has the patience and ability to grow that kinda hair maybe his patience on a heat pump malfunctioning in 95 degree weather will be just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    oh c'mon its all in fun, I was just curious. For those insecure people who have to make a big deal out of a hypothetical question, they are just silly and over-dramatic.
    Yea, well, some of the guys thought it was a matter of life and death.

I'd hire both, and see who did the better job. (How's that for riding the fence?)

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Yea, well, some of the guys thought it was a matter of life and death.

I'd hire both, and see who did the better job. (How's that for riding the fence?)
    perfect answer!! and yes my friend I agree......I imagine those who only will hire clean cut, perfect appearance, perfect english kind of techs probably are not running that profitable of a business.

Quote Originally Posted by adamste81 View Post
    perfect answer!! and yes my friend I agree......I imagine those who only will hire clean cut, perfect appearance, perfect english kind of techs probably are not running that profitable of a business.
    I don't think I was ever hired for my looks.

If they can both do the job, the longhair is only a hairut away from looking the part. No way would I hire someone with that many tattoos, unless I was looking for a tattoo artist, not an HVAC tech.

If the hair really was permanent, I still think it looks better than the tattoos, and I think our customers would be more comfortable with clean long hair than tattoos.

I have met plenty of longhairs that looked presentable. In this trade, tattoos and long greasy hair go together. They often come with DUI's, substance abuse, absenteeism, and crappy work. I keep hoping to be surprised. We just hired 3 more tattoo'd longhairs, I probably won't learn all their names before they are gone.
    Jason

I just read my reply, and I sound like my father. He used to address men with long hair as "Sally." Then I find old pictures of him in the 70's with long hair! I think we both like to be grouchy old men.
    Jason

Hair can be cut, tattoos can be covered.
    If either guy was going to be dealing with the home owners,general public, then I'd have a hard time employing either.
    If it were new construction/retro-fit work, I really don't see a problem.

I think a lot of the arguments here, are from people automatically thinking everybody else is in the residential sector. Not all of us are, there's a lot of different facets of this business/trade where looks don't matter one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by the dangling wrangler View Post
    Hair can be cut, tattoos can be covered.
    If either guy was going to be dealing with the home owners,general public, then I'd have a hard time employing either.
    If it were new construction/retro-fit work, I really don't see a problem.

I think a lot of the arguments here, are from people automatically thinking everybody else is in the residential sector. Not all of us are, there's a lot of different facets of this business/trade where looks don't matter one bit.
    Trust me I know. Being in the flooring business it is the same way. The guy doing a re-model on a lived in house better look a lot more presentable than the guy doing the tile in a new construction commercial job.

Weed smokers make the best workers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast