Outdoor Temperature Sensor

The other day a HVAC tech came out and added length to my outside drain line. I noticed when my heat pump was in heat mode , the outside temperature on the indoor themostat was heating up and not correct.

I found out he had secured to the insulated line pipe that was outside. This was picking extra heat from this pipe. They came back and put inside cabinet which is a lot better but still off about 3 or 4 degrees as it is not in the weather or wind.

Should this outdoor sensor be exposed out in the wind and weather to be more accurate? The only reason I need to be accurate as it controls my last 10k of aux heat when outside temp reachs 20 degrees plus recovery time is based on outside temp.

Ideally, it should be in a shaded location on a Northern exposure. The practice of keeping it in close proximity to the condensing unit does nothing but save time and can be a compromise because of the potential issues - some of which you experienced...

so long as it is not in sunlight at any time you should be just fine. being off 3-4 deg is no big deal just change the parameters to reflect that. the aux should only kick in when you need it which may not be 20. is this a new system? what are the particulars?

They did that with my OD sensor also and attached it to the lines coming into the house, I moved it to under side of my Box Bay window out of direct sunlight and away form the unit as much as I could so there was no interference.

Quote Originally Posted by My77GMC View Post
    so long as it is not in sunlight at any time you should be just fine. being off 3-4 deg is no big deal just change the parameters to reflect that. the aux should only kick in when you need it which may not be 20. is this a new system? what are the particulars?
    System is almost 2 years old. I had them to set up 10k to come on anytime auxillary heat was called for and the extra 10k to come on only at 20 * and below. So at 20* , the full 20k will kick in.