Hybrid View

gaskets for switchplates and outlet plates. . .

to prevent infiltration.

Do these work?

Also, some people plug the outlet with child safety plastic things to prevent further infiltration.

Having bought these things very few people are going to say they wasted their money, so does anyone have actual numbers for how well these work, like a payoff period?

I have not been to a home show in a while but the local gas utility use to give the outlet and switch plate gaskets away at their booth.

I put them on mine years ago and they seem to work OK, but my house was built in the early 50's and air infiltration was not an issue then. I have air coming in all over the place.

If you have a newer house with the proper vapour barrier behind the drywall and outlet boxes you probably don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by mbhydro View Post
    I have not been to a home show in a while but the local gas utility use to give the outlet and switch plate gaskets away at their booth.

I put them on mine years ago and they seem to work OK, but my house was built in the early 50's and air infiltration was not an issue then. I have air coming in all over the place.

If you have a newer house with the proper vapour barrier behind the drywall and outlet boxes you probably don't need them.
    My house is from '64 but I did have tight windows installed.
    There is a very small space between the outlets and the holes in the plates. I'd think I'd need a hurricane to get appreciable airflow out of these gaps.