+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pellet Stove using exisiting thermostat

Post Likes

Pellet Stove using exisiting thermostat

Hello. I have recently purchased a wood pellet stove that has a 2-wire thermostat connection on the back. I currently have a thermostat in my kitchen that controls the natural gas heater in the basement. We have been running the pellet stove for the last few nights and manually turning on the thermostat to use the returns in the house to move the warm pellet stove air and heat the house. It's working great. So great that it's actually too warm in the morning! My question is can I run a wire to the current thermostat and use it to run the pellet stove and still automatically kick on and off the fan when the pellet stove runs? I know its a low voltage stat and so it the pellet stove. I also know that the stove needs to use the R and W terminals on the stat to work, but when I disconnect the current R and W wires the fan obviously does not turn on when I throw the switch to "Fan On." Can I run the stove and heater in parallel and leave the heat/ac switch in the off position and the fan in the auto position? Thanks very much for your help and let me know if you need more information. -Neal

Post Likes
    i do not think we can help you
    Please no DYI questions
    Thanks have a great Day

Post Likes
    Well that's not at all the response I expected to get. I'm sorry to include myself in your corner of the internet. Can you please be so kind to send me to a place that may be able to answer my questions? Thanks, Neal

Post Likes
    Try Google, research parallel inductive circuits and transformers, sorry forum rules we can't help you.

Post Likes
    To trigger the fan to come on and off with the stove would require a special setup. your best bet would be to install a seperate t-stat on the stove, and leave your regular stat on fan-on. Then you can also leave the regular stat on heat and a few degrees below the pellet stove setting. that way if the stove quits, you have automatic backup gas heat.

Messing with the wiring to your existing stat is just inviting problems

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in