Thread: payne or bryant

Post Likes

payne or bryant

I have to replace my existing 3 ton central air unit due to bad coils and poor installation. My contractor gave me two choices of payne or bryant. The model of the payne is pa3036 3 ton 13 seer r-410a or a bryant 123a060 3 ton 13 seer. My question is whats the big difference if any besides price? Also was wondering if a heat pump would be a better idea? I live in southwest michigan it gets pretty cold here maybe too cold to take advantage of a heat pump?

Northwest Arkansas via Chicago Area via Straight Up from There on Lake Superior
    Post Likes
    How about adding a HP with a nice 95% AFUE gas furnace in your area? If you get a higher efficiency DFHP the tax credit is $1500 and rebates might be very nice for a higher end system.

Why limit yourself to only one contractor? You may be surprised at what the tax credits (any from utilities or Michigan?), rebates and competition do to the bottom line cost for a much better system.

You any where around St. Joe, Niles, Paw Paw? Use to go over there to fish the rivers & streams from Chicago. Loved those little creeks and the trout in them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by cave62 View Post
    I have to replace my existing 3 ton central air unit due to bad coils and poor installation. My contractor gave me two choices of payne or bryant. The model of the payne is pa3036 3 ton 13 seer r-410a or a bryant 123a060 3 ton 13 seer. My question is whats the big difference if any besides price? Also was wondering if a heat pump would be a better idea? I live in southwest michigan it gets pretty cold here maybe too cold to take advantage of a heat pump?

If you are going to just replace just indoor coil than HP is not possible because you would have to replace condensing unit outside. I would stick with gas furnace in Mich. As for the coils, if they both have same warranty I would go with cheaper unit. You may even be able to buy a longer warranty and still come out cheaper. Read warranty very close however. Good luck

Post Likes
    ttt

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Post Likes
    What's ttt?

Have you considered a qualifing $1500.00 federal tax credit system?Might want to check it out.

Payne even has one.

Post Likes
    Payne is the builder's grade version of Carrier/Bryant. There are no bells and whistles with payne. It is designed to be inexpensive and sold over the counter to anyone with an EPA certification whereas Bryant is sold for the most part to Bryant authorized dealers. Also I think Payne is still using the older base model cabinets from Carrier/Bryant. It is not a good design for longevity.

Post Likes
    ttt is to the top thanks for the help guys, i'll have to do some research on the tax credit.

Post Likes
    I also suggest looking into the tax credit .....it may be worth it to get the better unit if you can offset the price.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jjust61 View Post
    If you are going to just replace just indoor coil than HP is not possible because you would have to replace condensing unit outside. I would stick with gas furnace in Mich. As for the coils, if they both have same warranty I would go with cheaper unit. You may even be able to buy a longer warranty and still come out cheaper. Read warranty very close however. Good luck
    The Payne and Bryant coil are the same exact coil. They choose which name plate to put on depending on who is getting the coil. The outdoor units do have some differences, and warranties may be different.
    Payne, Bryant, Carrier to name a few are all United Technologies brands, and all share the same evap coils.
    "The difficult we enjoy, the impossible just costs more."- My dad

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in