heat only:cape style with no returns

just wondering why there wouldnt be any returns in my house ..new home to me. its oct 1st and should be getting ready to heat my home. new furnace (onida royal) as of 2002 and the return is pulling from the basement. what should i expect here with the way it is. 1320sq ft 3 br cape in connecticut...thank you for your time

It probably will be fine as long as there is a path from each area back to the basement, this could be a gap below the door, or a transfer grille in the wall.

Whats more important is how the supply air mixes with the room air, once the air mixes together it will all flow back to the furnace. You will probably have a negative pressure in the basement and you need to be careful that this doesnt cause your exhaust pipes to backdraft, forcing exhaust air back into the basement.

An improvement would be to move the return upstairs and insure that there is enough combustion air from outside for the water heater and furnace.

You should really have a good contractor out to take a look!

ya i do notice a larger than normal gap in the basement door. i do agree ill have to get a good contractor here to let me know what i should do thanks for the input...mike from ct

i had a similar hollywood style return in an duplex i used to rent years ago, it had enough return to the mechanical room as it had returns cut in the floor but no actual return duct. there where brackets on the side of the air handler that held a filter. it was a really crappy set up and i went threw a ton of filters since the washer and dryer where in the same room. it was a heat pump so no problems with combustion air

Ideally you should have return ducts, but if it's not practical to have them installed, transfer grilles in the doors are a reasonable stopgap measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Feet View Post
    Ideally you should have return ducts, but if it's not practical to have them installed, transfer grilles in the doors are a reasonable stopgap measure.
    Or floors...