Trane Native BACnet Info?

I was shown an announcement from Trane that they would be offering 'native' BACnet communictions on all thier equipment in the near future. It did not define what the 'near' future was.

I was wondering if anyone know how this will be accomplished. New on-board controllers or a secondary offering of another control mfg.'s native BACnet controller?

Would love to hear any early info?

It's no secret they have been working on a BACnet MS-TP line for a while now.

I guess it should be mature for the market by now.

This also means ( I guess ) they would have a few devices that would support IP / MS-TP routing.

You said BACnet, do you want the truth, what I know from expierence or some **** I read off the internet.

The truth is thay have a BACnet com card for the larger packaged equipment and chillers right now. It supposed to be accross all the equipment but I don't think its out yet for the smaller RTU's. Its a gateway like all the existing type of com cards(proprietary,Lon) They also have a VAV controller out now thats in limited release but don't expect it on any other unitary equipment in the upcoming year unless its feikd installed.

What I know from expierence is the centrifigul chillers are BACnet out the box with no gateway. The new chiller controller is bad ass.

Then we are talking about TrACnet right .....sorry could not resist...First Tron, then TrACnet

Quote Originally Posted by zinc22 View Post
    Then we are talking about TrACnet right .....sorry could not resist...First Tron, then TrACnet
    That's **** you read off the internet. It will be TracerNET so get it right.

I actually pulled one of the new BACnet programables into a third party front end and it worked no issues. This was only on a bench for an hour so I won't call it real world expierence but it looks promissing thus far.

I have seen some early stuff almost a year ago now.....and yes. Their MS-TP implementation should more than robust. The team working on this is "excellent" and more than knowledgeble.

But I still could not resist the pun

I just finished bringing in one of their brand new chillers via ms/tp.
    I have to say I was surprised how well everything went, although it was the only device on the bus.

When I showed up to discover the points, all of the data came up in metric units - which I'm used to with Lon anyways. Niagara automatically does the conversion on the fly and everything is gravy, except that the Trane guy decided to change the units a week later after I had already discovered the points. So 44F from Trane became 44C at the Niagara device level, which was then converted to 111F on the screen.

Once the device facets are discovered in Niagara, the properties are frozen and you can't change them unless you delete the points and re-discover them. Not a problem, except I already had added history extensions to a few dozen points...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    When I showed up to discover the points, all of the data came up in metric units - which I'm used to with Lon anyways. Niagara automatically does the conversion on the fly and everything is gravy, except that the Trane guy decided to change the units a week later after I had already discovered the points. So 44F from Trane became 44C at the Niagara device level, which was then converted to 111F on the screen.

Once the device facets are discovered in Niagara, the properties are frozen and you can't change them unless you delete the points and re-discover them. Not a problem, except I already had added history extensions to a few dozen points...
    Don't you love it when you try to explain to the controller designers to keep the data coming out of the device at one scale and just change the display format on the secondary LCD for example.
    They just don't get it.

Don't undestand the whole trac-net and tron stuff the BCI and UC lines are out and they are awesome we just had our first SC job with BCI-I's and UC 400's go in and it is sweet!!! And yes it is real MS-TP all the way down to the controller no third party stuff, no tranlators, no crap real MS-TP but our lon stuff is too so whats up with tracnet and tron

Probably because Trane LON uses a **** load of proprietary variables in every controller as well as the standard ones. I will say the UC stuff is a step in the right direction but you have to look at some other systems before you say the new stuff is sweet,espeacialy the SC. Its a step up the ladder but its still towards the bottom rung in the scheme of things.
    Last edited by willf650; 10-05-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by digo View Post
    I just finished bringing in one of their brand new chillers via ms/tp.
    I have to say I was surprised how well everything went, although it was the only device on the bus.

One caveat: psi values are discovered as psi, but they're actually psia (absolute). If you want the values on the JACE to match what's on their LCD panel, you have to offset by 14.7 (athmospheric pressure at sea level) to get the value in psig (gauge).
    Example:
    Evap Ref Pressure shows up on the JACE as 6.3 psi, value on the panel -8.4psig
    6.3 - 14.7 = -8.4