Variable speed. Is it worth the hype?

Can someone explain to me the difference between having a vs blower compared to a multi-speed blower? I'm assuming the vs cost more than a single/multi-speed blower. Do the benefits out weigh the cost? Does the vs require a special thermostat to work properly or to be able to reap the benefits? Is the vs something I should greatly consider? Does it effect the seer rating? Thanks for your advice!

Yes the variable speed blower is so much better than the standard multi-speed blower. It is more efficient to operate as far as costs, it raises the total system SEER ratings, it is much more quieter to operate, more flexibility for airflow capacity, etc. They have been on the marketplace for awhile now so the dependibility is pretty good now. Just have to make sure that the duct system is sized right to accomadate the ECM motor.

When you compare cost to operate to a PCS blower motor, theres quite a difference in cost to operate. I have a ECM motor and run it 24/7 and I think I figured it to cost me per year about $25 running it all the time. The varible air flow the ECM allowed to run at are head and shoulders above any PCS blower motor.

the only downside is the cost if the ecm VS motor is not under warranty , it almost cost as much as a whole normal furnace/fan coil if it were to fail and need a replacement.

other then that is doesnt compare , its heads and shoulders worth the extra upfront cost ...

The VS motor is far more superior to the standard multi speed. The VS motor has more humidity removal than the other motors. No special tstat needed unless you get a muti stage outdoor unit.
    Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

Quote Originally Posted by jdrob12000 View Post
    The VS motor is far more superior to the standard multi speed. The VS motor has more humidity removal than the other motors. No special tstat needed unless you get a muti stage outdoor unit.
    well yes and no, the right way to use the VS motor is to install and upgraded Tstat that has options for continuous fan cycling and also humidity control, sometimes referred to as a humidistat.. you cant have better humidity control if you dont have a tstat to help regulate that part of the system. the Honeywell 8000 series stats and above all do this and are well worth the extra money if you go with a VS option.

Quote Originally Posted by acguytx View Post
    well yes and no, the right way to use the VS motor is to install and upgraded Tstat that has options for continuous fan cycling and also humidity control, sometimes referred to as a humidistat.. you cant have better humidity control if you dont have a tstat to help regulate that part of the system.
    All VS blower furnaces/air handlers have a setting to aid in humidity removal, without the aid of a humidistat, or thermostat with built in humidistat.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

the VS motor also benefits user by the fact that CFM's are monitored/maintained

as your air filter gets dirty, the control board make the appropriate adjustments to keep the proper CFM's